Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Mike. Dean here. I have a similar problem as Pete. Although

Customer Question

Hi mike. Dean here. I have a similar problem as Pete. Although mine maybe linked with something else. I've a 08 plate 2.4 tdci transit Bought it at 68000 miles and it's now at 82000 but since I've owned it the engine is constantly hunting. It got so bad the other day that it cut out about 8 times. I tried putting my foot down on the accelerator (in neutral) but no matter how long I held it down, the revs would not go above 3000rpm. Then just through driving, the hunting stopped but now it's not hunting the engine is really loud and rattling when idling.
Diagnostics say I'm getting water in the diesel. Also, for some reason, I've gone through 3 egr valves in ten months.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
This can be due to a fault with a restricted fuel filter needing replaced or an issue with debris in the fuel tank causing this fault.I have also seen low fuel pressure due to a fuel leak cause this fault.These will need to be checked over to locate if any and which is the cause here and then repaired from there.
The EGR failure may be due to carbon build up in the EGR ports needing cleaned to correct this fault.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Pete. Thank you for responding. I changed the diesel filter about 8 months ago and the hunting still remained although the filter itself was gunked up and also had water in it. 2 diagnostics have said I have water in the diesel. The cap has a perfect seal.
I have checked for leaks and everywhere from tank to filter and lines are all dry just after it's been running.
The hunting seems to have gone but now have a very loud rattle from the engine. When it was hunting it would not let me reach over 3000rpm when foot to the floor in neutral. This has disappeared with the hunting. Engine has plenty of oil. The rattle is concerning.
Also. Is there something that could be killing the egr valve because I've had 3 brand new ones fitted in around 10 months??
Many thanks. Dean.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
There was a good chance one of the places you had put diesel in at may have had water in their fuel and this went into your fuel tank.The water can cause bearing damage to the engine over time as well as fuel injector damage which can cause engine noises.This may also affect the egr valve in some cases.The only other major fault I have seen with egr failure is carbon build up in the egr ports.
These will need checked into further to pinpoint the causes here and then repaired from there.
Thanks Pete