UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Ford transit: Mike,My van (late 90's, Transit)

Customer Question
Hi Mike, My van (late...

Hi Mike, My van (late 90's, Transit) developed a problem... the idle rpm is about 1200 where it should be 800.On touching the accelerator it sometimes goes back to 800. The van also kept idling at a red light and there was absolutely no throttle response , none ! on stopping and starting the engine the problem went away. Could this be the throttle sensor as some have suggested ? Cheers Patrick

edit : while this was going on the glow plug indicator flashed

edit 2:  scrap late 90's van is from 2003 , 2.4 TD 125 hp

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/8/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago
Peter Zavarelli
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the electronic throttle body itself or accelerator pedal.The glow plug light flashing usually indicates a fault with one or more of the glow plugs themselves causing this issue needing replaced.
What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set and then from there the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.This will need to be done with a scan tool or computer that can plug in and communicate with all of the computers in your vehicle.The scan tool/computer is also used to monitor the data from the accelerator pedal sensor and throttle body to help determine which is the cause here.
Thanks Pete

Pete, thanks for your replay, but since no answer was forthcoming and the pedal was replaced today, I retracted the question.

Thanks

Patrick

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli