UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford cmax: 2010 cmax 16v petrol, on cornering ie higher

Customer Question
2010 cmax 16v petrol, on...
2010 cmax 16v petrol, on harder cornering ie higher speed sweeping right handers there appears to be a slight wobble and feeling of slipping/knocking. also accompied by what sounds like the abs pump kicking in. is this normal for when the ESP kicks in? thoughly checked all steering, wheel bearing, bushes, struts, antiroll bar, bottom arms and ball joint etc, everythings as tight as a drum, also no lights on dash, if ESP kicks in does it show a light on the dash?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/7/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello
The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.
However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.
Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Hi thanks for your response.
Think you misunderstand the question, not sure there is actually a fault, no lights on dash and esp light doesn't come on when it does it. Need to know if this feeling of knocking/and abs pump running is normal when harder cornering when esp kicks in. Can only think esp as everything else seems fine.
Hello
OK thanks for the extra information
I'd say your noise could easily be the stability control kicking in as this brakes individual wheels to help the vehicle during cornering
if you feel its coming in a bit early then ask your dealer about resetting the stability control and steering angle sensors
Hi
do you still need help?