UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mazda 3: i have a 2005 mazda 3 and the problem I am experiencing…

i have a 2005 mazda...
i have a 2005 mazda 3 and the problem I am experiencing is that while driving the car it jerks like the petrol is not getting through properly and sometimes it is so bad that it almost cuts out and I have to rev it high just to pull off. now it doesn't do this all the time and if I switch the car off or just let it idle for a couple of minutes it seems to go away - but only for a period of time. also if it gets really bad then the engine light on the dash comes on. now when I have taken it to a mazda service centre they say it is the cam shaft sensor, which they have replaced, cleaned and reset, but yet this problem still persists and no-one can get this fixed.
just to add that the engine light will go off after a few days, and the problem can be sometimes really bad and then we don't drive the car for a few days, after those few days it is then not so bad or not there at all, but this problem always comes back. someone said it could be the sparkplugs, we thought it could be the injectors, but really not sure at all. it doesn't seem to do it when the car is in neutral only when the car is in gear.
6/1/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Trevor, UK Car Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Trevor
Trevor, UK Car Mechanic
Welcome to just answer.
My name is***** try to assist you here.
It sounds to me as though you have a problem with one of two components, either the coil pack, or the crank sensor.
It is more likely to be spark related than injection, and the two control components for the spark are the crank sensor and coil pack, the coil pack will,often give a fault code that relates to one or two cylinders misfiring only, this is because the coil pack contains 2 actual coils, they operate 2 cylinders each, which are 1&4 and 2&3, that's because these are opposing pistons with regards ***** ***** order.
If you have a multiple misfire code, then it's most likely the crank sensor, they start to break down, and instead of failing completely, they give incorrect signals which then makes the timing incorrect, this is caused by high resistance, which gets worse as the engine gets hotter due to the heat causing even more resistance.
Hope this helps, if you need more info, please let me know.
Trev
Trevor
Trevor, UK Car Mechanic
Hi Trev,
Thanks very much, this at least gives me a reference point when I take it to the service centre. it does feel like it is misfiring and not running on all cylinders when it does this.
Thank you again, I really appreciate it and I will send you a follow up note once it has been to the service centre.