UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Mr2, 2.2L, 5 spd: Tiger, thanks man. I'm looking

Customer Question
Hi Tiger, thanks man. I'm...
Hi Tiger, thanks man. I'm looking for OBD plug for mr2 93 2.2l 5 SPD. The car just died out while I was on the road. Won't start after that. Though was fuel pump but not fuel is OK ordered a used computer steel dosnt start. Got a obd2 can't find the plug.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello
the age of hte car means its OBD 1 so you can get a fault code with some simple tools
see here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_YhNmIVcbA
I'm still waiting for the answer for the above question about what happened to my mr2 93 2.2L 5 spd
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hey Matt, hi. I posted a question above yesterday and paid $30.00 for the help for my problem yet I haven't got an answer yet. Pls I need help. 20 minutes ago I tried to contact you guys but no respond. Still waiting.......
Hello
sorry about the wait, like most experts on here I'm not online all the time
OK if you can't get fault code then
1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.
If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.
If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK
If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel
Hey Matt is that you, thanks. Checked everything, change ECU, but still no electricity from the dustrbuter/a magnetic type. No electricity from the spark plug when engine is franked.
Hello
OK thanks for the extra information
if its not sparking and there's no power / 12V from the distributor then 1st ceck that the engien earth strap is tightly connected and not corroded at the engine and the battery end
if this is OK then I'd check that you've got 12V going to the ignition amplifier at the back of the engine bay as its this that powers the coil and provides the switching from the distributor pickup
Matt, Mechanical Engineer