Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

Jaguar S Type: Richard - problem with the braking system,

Customer Question

Hello Richard - problem with the braking system, I think. Error message on dash - Low brake fluid - its not low. Also brake pads have been checked. Strangely when its raining the error message lights go out. When it dries up error message returns. Its a 2001 S type jag - 3.0 V6. Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
So the brakes feel normal hut the low fluid warning is displayed? Is there a red brake warning or amber abs warning
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes they feel normal when I drive but i did feel the brake pedal depress slightly more if I kept my foot on the brake pedal when at a stand still. There is a red light on beside the " Low brake fluid" in the form of a red vertical line. In addition there is like a brake shoe type light in red beside that. No abs warning.

Took car to a small garage repair work shop. This is a separate problem now but went in to see what was wrong with brakes. Wheel spun on floor of workshop because it had been raining heavily and now there is a flashing traction control light on the dash. He cant reset the light.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok a flashing dsc icon does mean that the system will need to be calibrated with the Jag tool. The brake fluid warning can be a bad sensor or wiring. Please check the two wire electrical connector on the fluid reservoir. We will need a digital multimeter to test the circuit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What will happen if I dont go to Jaguar dealership for recalibration of the traction control? Does the traction control still work? I find it difficult to understand why Jaguar only can do this? i have limited funds available to me as I have to get car through a MOT test.I will have a look at the connections around the fluid reservoir and get back to you. .
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I understand. When that warning is on the traction control will not function properly.