UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Volvo V70 SE: Excessive oil consumptio on Volvo V70 SEstarted

Customer Question
Excessive oil consumptio on Volvo...
Excessive oil consumptio on Volvo V70 SE
started just before last but one service and is now down to under 300 miles
per litre. No smoke, no leaks just passed mot exhaust fine Only done 86,000 miles
Len
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
5/13/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Greg, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Are you saying that you use 3 liters every 1000 miles..
For this amount you must have a leak or burning it ?? no smoke not even on a cold start up grey ,black ??
Greg
Hi Greg, First let me fill you in on my background, from 1967 to 1988 I owned a garage, in fact in 1982 I had 3 so I'm not a complete greenhorn, There are no leaks to talk of - drive perfectly clean. No smoke on start up or after. The warning light does not come on until the car has covered 2 to 3 miles. In my day I would've assumed the oil was not draining back down from the head quick enough and excess oil around rockers was getting past the seals. When I mention this to my old motor trade chums I get funny looks. Other than that the car runs perfectly and has just passed an MOT emissions test. Any thoughts? Regards, Len
Hi Len .
Can not find any TSB for this issue ,which i think you already most likely checked ,
Very strange, the only thing that comes to mind but you would of found this issue by now is the oil cooler leaking into the coolant ..
The only thing that i think could be if no leaks and not burning it out the exhaust .
Sorry can't help you out anymore than this ,so i will check out one of our Volvo tech to see if he can help you with this issue ..
Kindest regards Greg
Any luck yet?
UK Auto Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there,
Your car has done 86000 miles (138000km) and is using 1 litre/300 miles (500km).
2.4 Diesel.
I'll assume you are using the correct oil for the engine.
That sort of consumption might not be visible to the driver, have you followed the car for any extended period?
I wouldn't doubt that it is burning the oil, especially if there is no leaks evident.
So now it comes down to engine rebuild time, is it valve guides/seals, or piston rings?
I've seen many newer cars with oil consumption issues.
Gary
Hi Gary,
Apologies for delay in replying, computer packed in.
The car has never used any oil between services to talk of i.e. has never needed topping up. 7,000 miles ago the low oil light came on - I assumed that it had not been fully filled at last service, topped it up and made a note to mention it next time I took it in. Three weeks later the light came on again and since then I've averaged just under 300 miles to a litre. I had the car serviced 2,000 miles ago and 5 litres have gone already. I find it hard to believe that wear factors to rings or seals could become so severe in such a short space of time. It has to be a blown seal on something like the brake vacuum pump or Turbo but I was hoping you could have pointed a finger at one or the other as a common fault, so I'm afraid I'm not satisfied wit your answer. Regards
Len
That seems a fairly drastic increase in oil consumption.
Since two mechanics have said their opinions now, might be best for you to take it to someone for physical analysis.
Could be turbo, but you still see smoke out the exhaust.
You should check you own oil more frequently, running that low has overheated the small volume left in the sump.
I would added a PTFE or similar product, that may reduce oil consumption.
I'll opt out now, another expert will be along shortly.
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician