UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Land Rover Range Rover Sport: ,I have a 2005 Range Rover…

Hi, I have a 2005 Range...
I have a 2005 Range Rover Sport and have been having issues with the Windows, Lights (going cross-eyed and not self leveling properly), Remote locking (taking a long hold of the button to lock/unlock) and the occasional start-up where I get a bunch of error messages including ride height and transmission errors (these clear when you switch of the ignition and restart the car). I have been to both the main dealer and an independant, who have blamed it on either a weak battery (now replaced, no change in problems) or window switches/motors (all of which they have now said are fine). They are now talking about the potential for needing a replacement Central Junction Box (which is expensive). Does this sound plausible and is there a way of fixing rather than replacing a CJB?
4/17/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Trevor, UK Car Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Trevor
Trevor, UK Car Mechanic
Welcome to just answer.
My name is***** try to assist you here.
The central junction box is the body control module, it does control all the items you are having trouble with, however before replacing it, it is worth checking and cleaning all the plugs that connect to it, as landrover wiring is not brilliant, and proned to having plugs poorly fitted, and connections not made very well.
If all the plugs are ok,then it may be an issue with the junction box.
Hope this helps, if you need more info, please let me know.
Trev
Trevor,Thanks for the answer so far. Could the problem be linked to having had a leaky sunroof. And if so, is it likely to be a question of cleaning - which sounds possible given that the problems seem intermittent - or is it more likely that the water would have fried the CJB itself?Theo
Hi
A leaking sunroof may well be factor.
There is a lot of wiring on these cars, and it depends which wiring the leak has effected, if the water has got to the body control module, then you may be able to dry it out by placing it in a bag of dry rice for a couple of days in a warm place such as an airing cupboard.
If it hasn't reached the body control module, then you need to look where the leak is, trace where the water has gone, and clean any electrical connections along the way, and again dry out any modules that have been effected.
Trev
Trevor
Trevor, UK Car Mechanic
Thanks Trevor - that's helpful.