UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Vauxhall astra: I drive a Vauxhall Astra 1.7 diesel ecoflex,

I drive a Vauxhall Astra...
I drive a Vauxhall Astra 1.7 diesel ecoflex, lovely car drives well but spanner light keeps coming on. I have reset this light many times but it continues to come on. Recently it comes on for some journeys and is off for others but I dont want to keep resetting myself. When the light does come on there is absolutely no loss of power and car continues to drive very well. Do you think you could shed some light on this?????
8/3/2013
UK Auto Mechanic: vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech replied 9 years ago
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech
Hello, can you tell me what you are using to reset it and what is the fault code number, thanks.

Hello....I am doing reset by holding in trip meter button and putting foot on brake pedal. When INSP comes up I turn on ignition until I get lines ckme up or a figure which I imagine means mileage.I dont know anything about fault codes. Maybe I'm not doing the procedure correctly!!!

Maybe you could let me know how to get fault codes up.

Thanks for that, the spanner light and the "insp" are not connected, the "insp" is to inform you when the car needs a routine service, this can be reset as you have described.

The spanner and engine management light (EML) comes on when the engine ECU has detected a fault with one of its sensors or circuits, this needs the codes reading with a diagnostic scanner and after repair the ECU can be reset with the scanner.

The most common cause on this engine is a faulty glow plug.

I suggest that you ask a local garage for a quote for a diagnostic test otherwise scanners are available at the likes of Halfords or Ebay.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.

vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech

Thanks for your reply, I done a pedal test to bring up fault code and P0683 came up which I believe is glow plug malfunction. Is this an expensive job to be put right?????

OK, the glow plugs are fairly cheap at around £12. each but on this engine they tend to seize in then snap in the head, you then usually have to remove the head and get a specialist to drill the core element out.

If the car starts up OK then you may want to put up with the light as the ECU will not go in to limp mode with this code.

However if you want to go ahead then its best to remove them with the engine hot and undo with a back and forth movement with plenty of WD40.