UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

E350 Camper: I have a horrible backfire in my exhaust and on

I have a horrible backfire...
I have a horrible backfire in my exhaust and on a whim decided to pull off my air pump belt (two air pump system). Backfires are gone. Why were they causing it exactly and what all would i need to do to delete them from the system? I am especially concerned about the exhaust manifold air tubes as they look difficult to plug up and i do not have room in the engine compartment or money in the budget for headers. There is so much going on under the hood that i am worried i might open a can of worms when removing this system.
6/14/2013
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX

I really would not advise removing them - deleting them...

It does sound from what you have outlined, that they are the cause - so replacement is usually the best answer there - They would / can cause this if / when faulty.

Truly - I cannot nor would suggest removal - maybe you can obtain second hand to keep the budget down - thats better than deleting them...you can easily open your can of worms doing that as you quite rightly say.

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime... >>>- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

I appreciate your answer however i am looking for more specifics before i make my decision. Id like to know exactly why they are causing the backfire. There are two pumps, several feet of hoses and even a few electronic valves. It is a rats nest of junk stuffed into an already tight location afforded by the van body. I would not mind fixing it if it will be a simple parts replacement, however if i would need to redo all the dry rotted hoses and / or chase down electrical demons id rather get rid of the whole mess. Not only would that be cheaper but make working on the engine in the future exponentially easier. It should be noted that i live in a non-emissions state and doing so would not be a crime.

Hello, as i had not received a response from you i cheated and asked the question again this time on the US Ford section. I do not know if i screwed up and asked this in the UK Ford section or after awhile of no one responding the site may have kicked me over to the UK side? Either way thanks for your answer it was just not as detailed as i needed.

PS did Europe require these overly complicated and easily malfunctioning air pump systems as well? I had assumed it was only the US that suffered through this nonsense.

Hello again Matt -

Im afraid I just could not get back to you because there have been system issues and I just could not reply - until now ...so I can only apologise for the delay there.... I did try replying - but it just would not go through to you !

What I was saying was... the problem you have is the valves - as I said at the outset - because when they go faulty, you get the pressure building up ( as the valves are not diverting the pressure where it should go ) and you get the issue you have... I always advocate at least in the initial , to replace rather than leave things off or disconnected...

I learned that many years ago -after an expensive mistake... ie, you" alter " things - that were built and fitted for a designed purpose - and it can go wrong - badly and expensive sometimes ! So that is why I always suggest that the job should be done right - ie, in your case - replacement.

But - yes - you can leave them off / blank them off - and in theory , it wil run ok.. that has to be a personal choice Matt should you decide to do that ... Either way , the answer is "correct" if you understand ;)

I dont know what happened with the post / question Matt - as to where it was etc.. I just saw it in the lists - and it was 11 hrs old so I answered it to save you waiting. Its a while since Ive seen / worked on these Matt ;) I can only try and recall the Uk / US differences - I would have to look them up otherwise ;)

Anyway - I hope that the above helps and answers why I answered the way I did - and further, once again, my apologies for the delay - but it was just outside my control Im sorry..

If you would click on at least the OK rating button, I would really appreciate it as that is how Im credited for time etc in helping you -- and I Thank You sincerely XXXXX XXXXX

All the best Matt.... and you are Welcome back anytime.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Mike, UK Car Mechanic