UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

SLK200: HI I HAVE A SLK200 WITH NO INDICATORS? SMALL ORANGE

HI I HAVE A SLK200...
HI I HAVE A SLK200 WITH NO INDICATORS? SMALL ORANGE LIGHT ON DASH . ALL HAZARDS ARE ALL OK AND WORK FINE. REG FA52VNN VIN WDB1704442F274441 CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP . TAKEN OUT THE K40 FUSE BOX TO LOOK SEE AND IT LOOKS BRAND NEW
5/7/2013
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert

eurotec :

Hi, and welcome. My name isXXXXX does not control the signals. The signals and hazards are controlled by the multi function control module. Since the hazards work the module should be ok. This sounds most like a faulty turn signal switch in the dash. The signals from the switch to the multi function control module will need testing to confirm this. The module is located in the same box as the K40. It is the larger thin module at the back of the box.

eurotec :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer:

Hi Marty ,thanks for you reply and help it's very much appreciated. The turn signal switch I assume is the indicator switch arm? Is this a main agent item to test this or can this be removed by a normal garage??? I will try to get a new one if so, and go from there, at least this part will be new.

Marty
Marty, European Car Expert

Marty ,sorry is this part supplied by main agent only ?the indicator arm switch

Hi Jim, yes that is correct. The part number for the switch is 170 540 03 44.

is the part no for complete switch inc cruse which mine has or can you just replace the indicator arm part is this the same part no ?

Hi Jim, the part number is only for the turn signal switch. The cruise switch is separate from the turn signal switch. The cruise switch is part number 210 540 08 45.

Thanks Marty can you also tell me is the turn indicator relay a item that I can also get and the part no if you have please is this easy to change? also where is the fuse for indicators sorry for being a pain in the rear jim

Hi Jim, the turn signals are controlled by the multi-function control unit in the module box under the hood. I think we need to regroup on this however. This may not be a bad turn signal switch. The problem can be caused by a faulty hazard switch. I didn't see it before in the schematic but I noticed it when looking for the fuse. When the hazards are off the hazard switch makes the connection for the turn signals. You will need to test for power to the multi-function control unit on terminal #46 (black/yellow wire). The key must be on and the hazards must be off. If you have no power on terminal 46 you either have a faulty hazard switch or a faulty headlight switch. I've attached a picture of the connectors on the multi-function control unit below. Let me know what you find out.

hi marty there is no volts at terminal 46

Ok, that should be the black/yellow wire. The next step is to check for power at the hazard switch on the black/white/blue wire on terminal 7. If you have power into the switch and nothing coming out on terminal 5 you have a bad switch. If you have no power into the switch you have a bad headlight switch. Sometimes you can toggle the hazard switch on and off rapidly a few times and get it to make contact and get the signals working. I usually turn the key on and turn the turn signal on and then start toggling the switch and keep checking to see if the signal works after turning the hazards off.

ok will try this tomorrow as I have removed the hazard switch its sitting right in front of me . I assume the black /yellow wire is terminal 5. could I place the meter onto the black /white/blue without connecting to switch? I know I will have to connect to switch to see if there is power out to the black/ yellow.

does the headlight switch carry lots of fuses on the side of it what are these for don't suppose one of these fuses are for indicators ?

You could use an ohmmeter to check for continuity from 5 to 7 but you should really check the voltage. I think fuse 4 may power the circuit but I would check all of the fuses in the headlight switch fuse box. For some reason I thought you had checked the fuses already.

no I did not know until today looking on the internet at headlight switches that there was any fuses there . I have not looked. how do you gain access to these fuses and what are they for .indicators perhaps? sorry to have mislead you did'nt know if there were any

Just remove the side cover at the end of the dash to access the fuses.

Thanks again Marty will let you know how I get on will try all those avenues . jim

You're quite welcome Jim.

Hi Marty ,all fuses checked and ok. only power to switch via red and yellow terminal 6 all the time .

Ignition on ,indicators switch on, haz off, no volts through black/white /blue term 7 bands thus no volts to black/yellow.term5

Ignition on ,indicators switch on, haz on, yes volts to black/yellow term5 and still no volts to black/white /blue bands.term 7

terminal 7 no power at any function

so this now points to light switch ?.If I ran a separate power 12v to the black/white/blue at the haz switch to try would this do any harm ? not good I know

Hi Jim, yes it sounds like a bad light switch or a fault in the wiring between the light switch and the hazard switch. You could jump power over to terminal #7. The only problem would be that you could accidentally leave the turn signals on if the switch was moved when getting out of the car. I don't think there is any chance of draining the battery by back feeding power to terminal #7.

hi Marty I will try and do that to see if there are any indicators working fingers crossed .

Ok Jim, let me know how it goes.

hi Marty you wont beleave this but just put key in ignition and guess what all f.......ing working why? did not put loop in .will moniter during day . many thank will let you know soonest

That's great new Jim! Maybe there was just a poor connection at the hazard switch. I hope it continues to work for you.

Marty

so do I will keep in touch , have you a personal e mail address are you allowed to give this out ? jim

Hi Jim, we are not allowed to share our email address but you can contact me here by replying to this question at any time.
Marty
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert