UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Skoda Octavia: The engine exhaust control system symbol has

The engine exhaust control system...
The engine exhaust control system symbol has illuminated on the instument panel of my Skoda Octavia. Can you tell me what this means and what rectification is required? My Octavia has covered 68,000 miles and is six years old.
Thank you.
7/31/2012
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Is your engine petrol or diesel ?

Can you give me the cars Full reg number...

Once I receive your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter - which may be later in the day - but will be asap..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.........................................
The engine is diesel and the reg.number is XXXXX
Hello again Patrick - thank you for your reply -and info..

In that case, you have a fault with whats called the DPF system - thats the Diesel particulate filter... usually it means its getting clogged.

This is a part of the exhaust system - and it should clean / regenerate as you drive.. As you have the light come on, it means the computer that controls the system has "seen" a fault - again, usually that its getting clogged - and put the light on to let you know -

What you can try for your self is this - take the car on a road where you can drive it at a steady 50-60 mph -in 4th gear... and for a period of 20 mins like that... Try that and see if the light goes out , meaning the filter system has re generated - cleaned it up. You may need to switch off and re start to check that after your drive.
This is a known / proper way forward that you can do as an owner to manually force a regeneration / clean of the system.

IF that doesn't work, you will have to take the car into a garage that has the correct equipment to connect to the car diagnostically to verify exactly whats happening with the system -and then generally what happens is, if there is a faulty sensor etc - it will be replaced or, the system properly serviced as / if needed to cure the problem..

So thats the way forward on this one now - whichever way as is needed to cure this for you .. Too, remember that for if this happens again - but if it keeps happening as in regularly - ie, the light goes off after your drive but keeps coming on again, you will need the garage service as above to sort it fully for you .

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX above all helps you and helps with the understanding of the problem you have -and what needs to be done to cure this ...

Please feel free to get back to me if you need / wish to discuss this more ..( I will always get back to you as soon as I receive any reply you may send .. To reply to me, use the "reply to expert" tab or link... . Meantime, please do rate the answer I have given for you with the OK service or higher... for which I thank you in advance... as thats how Im credited for helping you ..

Again - feel free to get back to me at any time ...even if you need more help as time goes on - clicking the rating as above does not close you out.. Thank you again...

Kind regards, MIKE.
Mike, UK Car Mechanic

Hi, Your reply to my query is about the diesel particle filter which is in the Octavia's handbook almost word for word with your answer. My query is about the engine exhaust control system shown on the instrument panel as an engine outline. The hand book only says to drive the car sedately to a garage with the right test equipment to get it fixed. I wanted to know what causes this symbol to illuminate and what needs to be done to rectify it.

Thanks,

Patrick Beasley

Hello Patrick, thank you for your message -

The info I gave you was indeed for the Dpf system, its a common issue on these models- but if you dont have a Dpf light on, I apologise I misunderstood.

If its just the Engine management light - as you now describe..as an outline of an engine, then that is the basically an engine management /systems fault light. This will generally mean the Ems has put the systems into whats called Safe or Limp mode...meaning restricted performance - so even had you tried the above, the car wouldn't have done it. As you have that light on, it means the Ems as above, has detected a fault somewhere in the engine management system - usually a sensor or actuator - though it can even be a faulty , split, loose fitting pipe etc - General checks can be done for the above but if nothing is found, it needs to be connected to a diagnostic machine to trace the fault down. As the engine light is on, there will be fault codes stored on the Ecu / management computer which when extracted as above, will tell the user / tech where the fault is. If the engine is otherwise running ok - ie, no loss of power, not misfiring running rough ( you didnt say it was... ) then you can drive it no problem..

Essentially its the same set up / system then, just different ways of finding the fault - and its good that its not a fault with the dpf system - those that have it, when they fail, can be extremely expensive to put right..

So thats the way forward on this now if the light is staying on for you still to trace the cause and then have it sorted..

Kind Rgds , MIKE.
Thank you, Mike. I understand the problem better now. The car is running alright and performs as if nothing is wrong, but I will get it attached to a computer soon.
Hi again Patrick -

Thank you for your reply - and once again , apologies for the misunderstanding.

I hope all goes ok for you - Im sure it will.. that is the way forward for sure with that light on -

All the best, MIKE..
Mike, UK Car Mechanic