UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Land Rover Freelander: How to change oil filter and fuel filter

How to change oil filter...
How to change oil filter and fuel filter ? Thanks
7/6/2012
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello

there's a useful how to on this video for the oil filter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLnv_Dmp3I4

to change the fuel filter the filter, pump and sedimenter reservoir are in a cluster in the rh rear wheelarch, take out the liner to gain access.

this video shows the filter location

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K17RmKF20E

it would be worth draining and flushing the sedimenter while your're in the arch area, renew the rubber seal on the sedimenter drain plug if its not in perfect condition

. After renewing the filter turn the ignition on, the pump starts running and leave ignition on till the pump stops, then ignition off and start the car
Sorry, but your answers are about Freelander one and my questions are about Freelander 2 Year 2008. Thanks for your next answers.
Regards.
Rénald
Hello Renald

Apologies for that

the filter on the later car is accessed from underneath

but you 1st have to remove the shield

graphic

and the filter is then at the front

graphic

its the same paper cartridge affair as the earlier model

as for the fuel filter

As you look under the bonnet, Remove the top engine cover, there are three 8mm stud bolts and one 10mm nut located under the air intake pipe to the right hand side.
In the engine and to the left hand side you will see a steel plate in front of you. Removing the plate will give you access to the diesel filter.

Remember that if you remove the filter for a new one you will have to prime it or your car wont start. A generic diesel one way priming bulb and some tube is usually the tool used to achieve this
Thanks a lot Mat for your explanations . I had already found the location for the oil filter but it's very difficult to deposit it because there is very little access for a key (box spanner or ring spanner or key open 27mm) to remove the cover of box oil filter.... How do you process and with what key do you make it ?
I will very appreciate your expertise to how remove this oil filter.

Thanks Mat and regards.
hello

you need a 27mm across flats ring spanner which has a crank in it like this one

graphic
graphic

or better still one of these ratcheting ring spanners with a hinged head for the best flexibility

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216036_langId_-1_categoryId_165572
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
All right Mat.
Thanks a lot for your advices.
Have a nice day and perhaps to an other time.
Bye bye.
Rénald.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer