UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Vauxhall Astra: Vauxhall Astra 54 plate. Engine cut out and…

Customer Question
Vauxhall Astra 54 plate....
Vauxhall Astra 54 plate. Engine cut out and now the symbol orange car with spanner is showing when I put the key in the ignition. Central locking working OK but can't get ignition to start. I've tried putting the key in the ignition and pressing lock to reset it but it won't do it. The lock button won't even press. suggestions please
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: UK Car
3/11/2012
UK Auto Mechanic: vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech replied 10 years ago
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech
Welcome to Just Answer, Can you tell me.......

1/ which engine is in your Astra ?

2/ did the engine management light (EML) come on at point of failure ?

3/ does the engine crank over on the key ?

Engine 1.4

All lights came on

The key will turn to 1 o'clock with all lights on but will not turn engine.

Thanks , We need to find out whether this is an electrical or mechanical failure,

Do you have means of testing the battery voltage ?

Are you able to turn the engine by hand from the bottom pulley or rock the car in gear (2nd) to see if it turns ?
The AA came out yesterday and tried to bump start it. it didn't work. They charged the battery beforehand. I told them about the key and symbol on dash but didn't seem interested.
Can you give me the chassis number so i can check which electrical systems are installed ?

where will it be. I've got the bonnet up

Found the chassis number WOLOAHL4858009935

This is taking too long and I don't see how it can be solved without going to a garage so I want to cancel my question and won't pay the expert.