UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

HOW DO i GET TO OR SERVICE THE EGR VALVE ON A VAUXHAL VECTRA

(K) Reg. BEST WAY TO...
HOW DO i GET TO OR SERVICE THE EGR VALVE ON A VAUXHAL VECTRA (K) Reg. BEST WAY TO DO THANKS
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2012
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What engine type do you have ie:- size and fuel type?

Can you reconfirm the year for the Vectra or its the Cavalier you have?

The engine size is 1796 cc, it uses unleaded, VECTRA LS and 30/06/02.

Ok..

It will be the Vectra B/C version 1.8 / 02 plate "rather than above K reg which is 1992-93"

However this is the procedure below for removal and refit of the EGR valve - cleaning can be done if the valve is coated with carbon bulid up sooted up either using the likes of carb/brake cleaner/wd-40 and a stiff brush to clean it up - you may have to get another gasket so when re-installing once the surface is cleaned up of old gasket - then new can be put on to aid a tight gas seal - if the valve is faulty then essentially its best to replace it and will come with a new gasket .

there's a scrappy 10 min away, I asked erlier today for a replacement part, he suggested part from astra. are there any other cars which egr same much apprish

Hi..

Astra G maybe if thats what your scrappy is refering too if has the same engine type - Vectra B or C with the same engine - maybe check Zafira/Tigra B/Corsa C also - so there are few cars to check up on anyway engine code Z18XE(L) - you need to ensure when your fitting one back on the seal between the Valve and the surface is gas tight.try not to over tighten the bolts as you could strip them - If your having trouble getting one for the same model of Vectra/engine then if you have any other local scrapyards then it maybe worth trying them instead as you'll never know if one yard doesn't have the part or car you need - then another might....

Or maybe try EBAY or maybe try enquiring/request on this site http://www.247spares.co.uk/ as the site will be linked to all UK breakers/parts suppliers if the Dealer is out of the question which would be the last resort..If the valve you have on there just needs cleaned up then it would be worth trying that first...

need more detailed information as to position of egr, not where advised.

Hi..

Can you explain "fully and in detail" what sort of detailed info your after?

As per above the link is for the vectra of that year and engine type and is in the position as per pointed out in the diagram mostly electronic with plug on the top or can be vaccum operated which you will know will have small vaccum tube connected to the top/electrical plug but still in the same area....

It would help to know what parts would come out to gain access, whether from top or bottom
It would help to know what parts of the engine will need to come out to gain access. Also is access bettet from the top or bottom of engine. I need as detailed a drawing of the engine as you can get. I need each step illustrated by a diagramme of sorts with written explination's at each step. As much information as you can give. also tools needed tork settings ect.

Ok..

The EGR valve in itself are very straight forward to remove and install and unfortunatly becuase of the ease of removal there is very little info - Its just 2 bolts/plug or vaccum tube depending which you have - to remove. thats it.. - you'll also have to bear in mind if its disconnected "the electrical plug" then "you may" get the eml up on the dash after words - so you can leave it connected and then clean it up in situ - If you have to remove the plug and EML is on or comes up once all done "make sure you have your radio code" leave the battery earth terminal off for about an hour and then reconnect and hopefully that "should" clear the fualt memory and put the light out - if not then you may need to be done diagnostically via the 16pin DLC -

The removal or work is all done from the top in via the engine bay as detailed in the link i gave above earlier straight from the Vauxhall manual i use in my own garage - So you don't need to jack it up or go in from underneath or remove parts of the engine to get at it you ay have to manover some wiring looms/pipes to the bolts - once you've got the top cover off if you have one fitted "the plastic engine cover" - then on the right handside of the cylinder head looking into the engine bay then you'll see it for sure - check/observe the base for the 2 bolts spray some wd-40 around them and then undo these anticlockwise only till they come out - can either be done with the correct sized socket/torx socket/long reach extention/ratchet together depending on the bolts fitted either i recall Six sided bolt head shaped bolt or other type where you'll need the correct sized torx star-shaped bit to fit into the bolt to undo-

- then lift/extract the valve out along with its metal gasket - as you may know and usually everything for that matter - "refit will be reversal of removal" making sure as suggested above the surfaces and the port/EGR valve are free of carbon as much as you get out - then a new gasket fitted the correct way round as the old one that came out and then the valve the bolts put in are tight/20Nm roughly and thats basically it and the connector..

If you need to know what they look like then these below for Vec C or B usually the one to the left more common on the C....

Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
The EGR is not there, can you supply more info. It's the 1.8 ECOTEC engine. I've looked all around where you say. Still can't find. I need something more than a general area. a drawing perhaps. Is there any more info out there.

Hi..

Strange it should be there - unless its been blanked off..As mentioned there isnt really much info in regards to "exact location/visible location" the only info i can give really is as per the vauxhall diagram i gave above for that engine size and it definalty suggests its there and too anytime i've worked on them its always been there -..i have sourced a picture of an 1.8eco below with the arrow and egr sits just before the coil pack - if its has that silver engine cover then there will be a sort of bulge shape moulded in the cover on the right - under that you should see the egr valve just ahead of the dipstick - as mentioned both types of egr both of which sit in the same place...If you like you could take a picture of your engine and post it here and then i'll have better look to double check or point it out to you..

I DON'T KNOW IF IT MAKES A DIFFERANCE THE ENGINE LOOKS DIFFERANT FROM YOUR PIC. IT'S GOT A PLASTIC COVER OVER THE TOP OF THE ENGINE.

ALSO CAN'T GET PHOTO INTO THIS MESSAGE.

Hi..

It shouldnt - is this the engine cover you have or the square type?

THATS THE ENGINE COVER. ONLY HAD CAR 8MTH.

Ok..

As mentioned above - See the rounded section or bulge at the right handside of the cover..check under there - in fact if you have that cover off and check in the same area then you should see it - if its been blanked off then you will noticed this or if not fitted...The only diagram i have left is this below..Don't have anything else unfortunalty unless you can post your engine with the cover off and photograph of that side of the engine - you can upload pics via the paperclip icon...

Robert
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic