UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Vauxhall Meriva: Hello - My 1.4 2007 Meriva developed a rattling…

Customer Question
Hello - My 1.4 2007...
Hello - My 1.4 2007 Meriva developed a rattling noise on the driver's side seemingly under the bonnet when on moderately rough surfaces. It is getting worse and now also occurs on good roads at about 60 m.p.h. when again you can feel the steering wheel knocking.
I saw a similar case on your website where it was suggested the spring may have broken at the base and be rattling there. I checked this as suggested but the spring seem to be OK. Any suggestions? Thanks
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: UK Car
2/13/2012
UK Auto Mechanic: vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech replied 10 years ago
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech
Welcome to Just Answer, Without being able to hear the noise I am at a disadvantage but I can however tell you about some common causes of noises on the Meriva.

First it may sound daft but I have had a few where the bonnet prop clip has broken and this lets the prop rattle around the engine bay, so make sure that the prop is securely held otherwise replace the clip.

Next is very common and there is a Vauxhall bulletin out (FR2424) it is a noise caused by dry or worn ball joints at the end of the pendulum link arms which connect the anti roll bar to the front struts.

The remedy is to remove the link arms and then remove the ball joint covers, then you can apply grease and rotate the joints to spread the grease around the socket, if the joints look rusty or pitted then you should replace them.

There is a picture of the link arms below, click on it to view full size.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.
graphic

Hello again

Had some time ago secured bonnet prop tight with a cable tie due to the broken clip.

Following your suggestion have now have replaced both front link arms but the knocking annoyingly persists!

Started to dismantle all the covers over the steering and dashboard on drivers side but gave up as the method of removing them is not clear and I don't want to cause damage.

Any futher thoughts?

Peter T

Hi, yes there are a couple of other known causes of noise on the Meriva but as I say it is very difficult to advise without experiencing them on a test drive.

One is a clicking type noise that transmits through the column and is cured by adding extra silicon grease to the splines of the PAS motor and column splines, the next is a rumbling at low speeds caused by worn steering rack bushes.

Both of these repairs require a major strip down of the steering assembly and should only be undertaken by qualified Vauxhall technicians with the special jigs needed for this work.

Hello

Looks like I may have to wait until it develops further.

Way back in August I asked the local Vauxhall garage to check the steering.

They charged £40 or so but nothing amiss was reported.

I did have high hopes for those link arms, and did press "Accept Answer" last night but it gave a message "Access Denied" for some reason.

Please can you confirm that I have only contracted with you for this one instance, and not a regular monthly payment. Then I'll be happy to try to pay for your time with this the £22-00 again.

Thanks anyway

Peter T

I am not sure of the ins and outs of the payment method, I am just a mechanic answering questions at home in my spare time.

The only thing I can think is that you did not log on properly when you pressed accept hence the "access denied" , as far as I am aware the question is a one off payment.

Best regards,Vauxdoc.
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech