UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

My 2001 corsa is leaking water into the drivers footwell

Customer Question
my 2001 corsa is leaking water into the drivers footwell
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Car
7/19/2011
UK Auto Mechanic: Billy, Trainer/Master tech. replied 6 years ago
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

I would appreciate some further info on the matter:

Billy :

- is it leaking only when A/C is on? or when it rains?

Billy :

- do you have a sunroof, convertible etc???

Billy :

- have you checked anything as of yet?

Customer :

i do not have a/c it leaks when it rains or i wash the car

Customer :

i do have a factory fitted sunroof

Customer :

i have checked the drains in the engine compartment

Billy :

the ones in plenum chamber (under windshield) where you have the wipers.....there were checked?

Billy :

is the water more towards the center, or towards the door side?

Customer :

did not know about the one under the windshield

Customer :

water more toward the centre

Billy :

ok.....

Billy :

you need to first check the drains of the sunroof....

Billy :

open the sunroof, and at the front (on both sides)....at corners, you have drain pipes, which would get the water down behind the wheel arches......

Billy :

use an electrical wire through the holes to unclogg........and pour some water see if it goes out right.....

Billy :

Next, under the windshield, open the plastic cover that allows access to the plenum chamber (where the wiper motor is located).........and then at the sides (left and right), you have some hard to access drain holes.......again use the electrical wire....and pour some water to make sure it is draining properly....

Billy :

you may check underneath the vehicle, behind the wheel arches, and use the electrical wire to open any dirt build up causing this.....

Billy :

And check towards the center at the firewall (bulkhead....the wall separating engine compartment from passenger compartment).....for any holes to be opened the same way......

Billy :

And then, always to confirm, pour some water on the windshield, and on the sunroof, see if drains are working....and you have no water ingress anymore.....

Billy :

If the drains are open, and still you have the problem....it might be caused by corrosion in the bodywork, under the windshield, or from the windshield seal (gasket, round the glass).......at this point, you would need to remove the carpet, and pour water, to determine exactly, where the water is seeping through and act accordingly.............however, the drain tubes are most likely to sort your problem.

Customer :

the sun roof drains are clear

Billy :

That leaves the plenum chamber....and check the holes underneath.....

Customer :

it is when i pour water over the bottom of the screen that water comes in will look for these drains

Billy :

yes......exactly.......hopefully these are causing this....and not some corrosion or windshield seal.......again drains more likely....

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer :

hi Billy

Billy :

Hello

Customer :

i have had every thing out including the pollen filter and caseing tried every drain i could find

Billy :

is the leak anywhere close to the accelerator pedal?

Customer :

taped up the sides of the windscreen and still it leaks

Billy :

Customer :

no seems to come down the centre consol

Billy :

oh......

Billy :

well.......if the windshield seal is not causing this...........then the way to check, would be removing the dashboard.......

Billy :

As there is a removable plate on the bulkhead.......this has a seal.......this is most likely leaking...........i was afraid it woudl come down to this.........

Billy :

You may however, try the following first:

Billy :

Just remove the washer bottle and then making sure everything is nice and clean buy yourself some aerosol mastic (by loctite) and spray that around the sealing edge.

Customer :

i will give it a try but dont fancy takeing out the dash so will put it into a dealer

Billy :

Yes....taking the dash is a major job....but first try the spray-an-seal (i think that is the brand name).....where advised. by removing the washer bottle first....cleaning and then applying this sealant generously.....wait till next day and then pour some water......this is likely to solve the issue.......

Customer :

will do thanks for you help

Billy :

you're quite welcome.........and fingers crossed for the sealant to work!!

Billy :

Billy
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.