UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

how do you change a starter motor on a fiat doblo cargo van

Customer Question
jtd 1900cc year 2003...
how do you change a starter motor on a fiat doblo cargo van jtd 1900cc year 2003
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Car
3/23/2011
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Its more awkward than anything to change the starter on these...

You have to have the vehicle up on ramps or stands - in the air to work on it from underneath... as you can't get the starter out / in from the top...

So its just a case of getting the front end up and then working at the very back of the engine to undo the retaining bolts and drop the starter down - undo the two wires to the starter first as well..

Bear in mind that the thick cable is continually live - so once removed - you must make sure it doesn't touch anything metal - best to disconnect the battery first really - but if you do that ..if you have the coded type radio you will have to re enter your radio code after....

The starter on these is actually very small and light so its not to difficult to manage - but a helper due to the awkwardness may be helpful - one to undo the top the bolt for example as you work on the bottom - and especially for re affixing...again - just due to the awkward position down the back of the engine.

You may find it easier to remove the air filter etc as well....but it can be done without...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Mike, UK Car Mechanic