UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.
It is advised that you have the timing belt (and the tensioner pulley and guide pulley) be replaced.
As renault states that your timing belt needs replacement at 72,000 miles or five years (which ever comes first)....
As for specific items to check on this model:
- check for any rattling noise from top of engine on cold start, as this means the camshaft actuator is faulty, thus needs replacing, and the engine control module reprogramming.
- ask or check if the engine cuts out intermittently, as this is mostly caused by a faulty crankshaft sensor.
These would be the specific checks.......and other than that, you need to check the following:
- check engine oil on dipstick, for up to norm quality and quantity.
- check coolant levels
- check the engine bay for any apparent work done (wires taped together, or silicone apparent on parts etc...) and ask what was done to the vehicle......
- service history would be a great asset.
- test drive the vehicle, and make sure, that cold starts are fine, and there are no noises while driving, and check for the smoothness of gear changes.
thanks a lot Billy, fingers crossed