UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Seat..spare..garage..the windows misted up, I could do with wiper

Customer Question
My Seat Altea is like...
My Seat Altea is like a pool inside, under all the mats there is water and in the boot, the spare wheel is acting as a little pond. I have had the car at a garage and they were unable to cure the problem, can you offer me any advise. Most days there is more water inside my car than outside, with the windows misted up, I could do with wiper inside.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Car
3/4/2011
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Has the car been in any accidents at all that you know of ?

How long have you owned the car / how long has the problem existed for?

Too - what exactly has been done in a bid to cure this so far...?

Rgds - MIKE....................................

Hi there

No the car has never been in an accident. I have owned it since new in 2006. The garage stripped the area around front right hand pillar of car. This area would now be one of the lesser damp places. The worst area is the boot. Water is getting in somewhere on passenger side at the rear shelf area. Under all mats is wet, and windscreen is always misting up.

I have had the problem about four months, but it appears to be getting worse.

Regs

Hello again John - Thank you for your reply and info..

Normally, these leak rainwater in from under the bonnet area...from the plenum chamber - in through a defective pollen filter housing seal... and because of blocked drain holes in the chamber - but while you can check that ..I note you mention the main area seems to be the boot...

It wouldn't be getting to the boot from the front - so in this case..the cause is usually the rear lamp seals.

You can try nipping up / tightening the fixing mounts / nuts for the rear lamp units - If they are particularly loose which can happen...they will let water in through the unit seals.

If they are already tight or that doesn't help..then you will need to remove the lamp units complete - clean up the area well and either fit new lamp seals ( from SEAT) -or use a silicone sealant applied where the seal fits..and that works well.

You could have a leaking boot seal - rubber seal but I doubt that ...again - the usual fault when it fills the boot / wheel well area is the lights.. And as you drive and brake...the water sloshes / runs down under the back of the back seats and wets all the area in the rear foot wells. If it is allowed to go on - the fronts will eventually get wet too as it will soak through under the front seats..either or both sides depending on how bad it gets.

You will have misting up on the glass inside....while ever the damp is in the car.

You may have to remove the seats to remove the carpets to dry it all out once you have cured the leak ingress as above.. Under the carpet is sound deadening material which gets soaked. Removal to dry them out is the best way albeit a somewhat major task..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Hi Mike

Found lamp seals in good condition and 'nuts' tight. Inside the boot I can see a water mark coming down from parcel shelf support bracket. I have removed bracket but rain appears to be getting in at a higher level.

I feel if I could remove the inside trim around the triangular window, but I cannot see how I could remove this without messing up the trim.

Regards

Hello again - thank you for your message..

Ok - in that case..its looking like the leak is very probably coming from a join / seam in the bodywork, or the window seal itself...

Now- the trim is fastened on with push type clips - and to get the trim off.. you need to use either a special tool - or you can use a flat blade tool - slid up under the trim and prise it off... It is tricky but you should manage without damaging it... that is the way it comes off - and then you can likely see the final cause and be able to deal with what you find...

I hope that helps you further John.. Please use the Accept button for me - Thank you .. and don't forget , you can always get back to me again if you wish / need even after using the Accept - just by coming back to this post and re use the reply button...

Best Rgds - MIKE..

Hi Mike

I haven't had a chance with the weather to try to take out the little window yet.

will let you know as soon as I do this, what I find.

Can you confirm the £33.00 taken out of my account is the actual payment in full.

Regards

Hello again John,

Thank you for your reply... Thats fine.. the weather is dreadful !

Re the payment... I havn't been paid anything as yet... I dont know if you realise ( not everyone does when first using the site...)... I dont actually get anything at all unless or until you press the Accept button.

Your account will have been debited when you gave your card details ( the 33£ )...and that is held by justanswer as a good faith deposit ( as per site instructions)... and they will keep that - until you press the Accept - at which time I get my payment.

I can confirm that the £33. is the full / final / only payment yes - in full.

So if you are happy with my help so far- Please do press the Accept ..I appreciate that greatly. And if you do need / wish to get back to me again after - thats fine, no problem at all - you just come back to this post again and re use the reply button and your reply will come straight back to me...

I hope that explains all for you John..

Any problems , let me know.. Other wise - please click the Accept for me now- Thank you John..

Best Rgds - MIKE...
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Mike, UK Car Mechanic