UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

vauxhall vectra i have a vauxhall vectra 1.9 CDTi on a 55…

Customer Question
i have a vauxhall vectra...
i have a vauxhall vectra 1.9 CDTi on a 55 plate
i have no power over 3000rpm then this drops to 2000rpm when i driven over 1/2 a mile or i stop
ive been to garages that have given me different reasons for wots up so ive changed alot on the car the problem started after a changed the alternator
this is wot ive changed
1,fuel fillter canister
2,mass air flow sensor 4 times
3,trottle pedal sensor
but still nothing happens
ive been told it might be the mass air flow circuit but i dont no how to test it
i hope you can help and not just tell me to go vauxhall all so my engine light is on but when i put the dos on it gose out and the spanner comes on then gose out and the engine light comes back on
thanks
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: UK Car
12/2/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech replied 11 years ago
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech

Welcome to Just Answer. This light comes on when the engine computer (ECU) detects a fault with one of its sensors or circuits.

When this happens it stores a fault code and then uses a back up program sometimes called limp mode, this is used to enable you to carry on with your journey or to enable you to get to a garage.

A Common cause on the Z19DT/DTH is a faulty EGR valve and this is what I suspect your fault to be.

You need to take your car to a garage and have it put on a diagnostic computer to have the fault codes read, when the code number is XXXXX then the correct repair can be undertaken, there are hundreds of code numbers so it is impossible to guess without this diagnostic test.

Most good garages have the kit for this, not just main dealers, you should phone around for a quote for a diagnostic test.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc

i went to a garage yesterday and they tried a new egr and nothing happened but if you replace a part would you need to reset the computer and can you reset the computer by disconnecting the battrery
Hi, If the correct faulty part had been replaced the light should go off , disconnecting the battery will not reset the computer , did they tell you the fault code number ?