UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mazda: reg..The switches for the front windows dont work…

Customer Question
I have a T reg...
I have a T reg Mazda Bongo Friendee. The switches for the front windows don't work. Help please.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Technopro, Aussie+Euro+Korean+Japanese Technician replied 8 years ago
Technopro
Technopro, Aussie+Euro+Korean+Japanese Technician

Hi there,

Have you checked the fuses? Is there any power to the switch? If the results are positive for the two checks, then you might have a faulty switch there.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

I'm afraid you're dealing with an idiot, for which I apologise. I haven't checked the fuses; where are they please? How do I check if power is going to the switches?

Hi there,

we all have weaknesses and don't feel like that as this is why we are here...to help and empower people to do little things by themselves instead of rushing to the garage and pay a lot of money.

There are a two fuse boxes, main ones located in the engine bonnet
Accessories (lights radio etc) Fuse box located near the drivers foot well.

Check all the fuses for any broXXXXX XXXXXnk, remove them one by one to check.

To check power to the switch is a little bit harder as you will have to remove the switch, which might need the door upholstery coming off.

Check the fuses first and then let me know how you get on.

Good luck and keep fingers crossed it's just a blown fuse!

Cheers

Just one more thing: Last evening the switches worked. The problem seems to be intermittent. Still don't know how the problem arises. They probably won't work tomorrow!!

It looks to me that the culprit might be the switches themselves. They have got a little spring type contact built-in and together with a little bit of grease to make a smooth operation of the moving part, unfortunately, with time and wear, the grease melts and often goes on the contact points making an insulation and resulting in no current to activate the windows.

I think you will have no option to bring it to an electrician or otherwise if you want to pull the switch out(a little bit risky if you haven't done that before) and see if you can find a new one or second hand.

Cheers