UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ML 270 cuts out the ignition when kicked down to over take…

ML 270 cuts out the...
ML 270 cuts out the ignition when kicked down to over take.
6/29/2010
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Very common problems on this model that would cause this are a fault with Ckp - crank shaft sensor that would cause this - and often these won't show up as faulty on the fault code reader which can mislead..

A common problem is cutting out under load and / or non starting ...

There is another common problem with these and thats to do with broXXXXX XXXXXnkage on the inlet manifold - but that will produce a fault code normally ( P1189 ) but you say it has none - so I would suggest turning your attention to the ckp as above..

You don't mention the EML ( engine management light ) being on so there won't be any engine fault codes - which again leads back to the crank sensor..

As regards XXXXX XXXXX / Airbag lights , thats a different problem altogether that which won't affect the running at all..

You will need to have a SRS / Airbag code reader plugged on to reveal the reason ( codes ) for that and that then can be dealt with as needed...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

I am sorry Mike , But we still have not got a clear answer to the problem, first not sure what a crank shaft sensor is and How it can be fixed, seems I will still have to take it a

merc Gargrage to have it looked at with avery high axtra bill, may be you can be more specific Perhaps a work shop manual page exploded view ?

Hello again...

The answer is clear enough with respect - but I have no idea as to ones level of mechanical knowledge ...as Im sure you can appreciate. Usually when someone has trouble like this , they are happy with the advise given and are happy and able to get down to sorting it out using the information given...

Of course I could have just said take it to a garage - but thats not the ideal of the site - and we won't do that unless its clear you have no choice because of the complexity of the problem -or, that the owner doesn't want, or can't , do the work as advised.

There are cases and times where connection to a diagnostic machine is necessary -not just a base machine to read fault codes - and I figured you had gone some way with this from you mentioning "run on a computer" in your question...

There are "computers" and there are "computers" in the motor trade - ie, some are just basic fault code readers and some of these are not even good at that -especially with the higher end market ...and I suspect this may be the case here..

If you don't know what a crank sensor is, that tells me you are going to need garage help with this... and I would advise a good garage - not necessarily a dealer - but a garage that has dealer level fault finding equipment for this model...
Im not being disrespectful in any way - but the modern vehicle does require at least a basic level knowledge of the vehicle you are working on if you have any hope of even working on it yourself.

A crank sensor by the way is the trigger for the fuel / ignition system... when that fails - and as mentioned, they often do on this particular model - it will cause the symptoms you have...All modern fuel injected / diesel engines have these sensors and they pick up a trigger signal from the crankshaft...

If you go to this link HERE... that will help you with your understanding --but I really do advise you to get professional help with this now - as you can honestly do more harm than good to the electronics system if you are unsure .

Im more than happy to help - but there comes a time even with experienced mechanics where proper pro diagnostic equipment is needed too to diagnose a problem on the modern diesel engine..

However to help you further - see the image below ... Item 4 is the crank sensor - position identified by the red dot.

Other problems that are common on these are fuel delivery - air in the diesel system issues... common issues and fuel pressure testing equipment should be used to test for this - other than the common things such as fuel filter / connections etc..

If the fuel pressure drops under load - the injectors will close and cause the problems you have....

So you can see the complexity of the issues here....which is why I recommend you get help with this..

Here is the crank sensor location for you :

graphic

I hope that helps you some further -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Edited by Mike on 6/29/2010 at 6:30 PM EST
Mike, UK Car Mechanic

Mike I have had fitted the cks to the ML270 at a cost of £102 plus £20 fitting cost and has not made a blind bit of difference, you also indicated fuel, I have replaced the filter

and had the fuel pressure checked and all seems to be well in that depart ment.

Just wondering if you have an answer to this.

C K S £122 & filter £17-24 & your charge £22 = £161 -24 And no further along