UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Santa Fe: Automatic..lost power..oil problem or more serious…

Customer Question
My Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic...
My Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic has lost power transfer, can this be due to oil problem or more serious?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/28/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Technopro, Aussie+Euro+Korean+Japanese Technician replied 8 years ago
Technopro
Technopro, Aussie+Euro+Korean+Japanese Technician

Hi there,

Welcome to JA, the lack of power may be due to a few things, firstly, has your car been serviced recently? Does your check engine light comes on when this happens? Is that a constant loss of power or it happens only at certain speed and road conditions? When you say loss of power transfer, do you mean that the engine is reving up but no transfer to the transmission? How many Kms do you have on the clock?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but these answers will help me locate the problem you are facing right now and the more precise you are in this, the better I can help you out.

Thank you and let me know how things are working.

Cheers

The car had a service at 102,000 miles, it now has 104,000 miles. The engine check light is on, hasn't gone off. The loss of powerseem to be conistant trough the gears and is unaffected by road conditions. The engine is not reving up, as if it were a slipping clutch, but I have found that the engine will not go above 4,000 revs in second gear and is very slow to move to raise the revs in the first place as it is in all the gears. I have also noticed that if I take the revs to 4,000 in second gear and make a change to third gear the car jumps forward as if it had more power. I had noticed, before this happened, that the rev counter was twitchy, only by a few hundred revs, as if the engine was did not have a sloid relationship with the drive train.

Thank you for your input, and the first thing to do here is to get the check engine light off. There are two ways here, you can try to remove the battery terminal for 10 minutes and reconnect, let car idle another 10 minutes and then take it for a smooth drive. If the check engine light has not gone off, then you'll have to get the car scanned so that we can work out what electronic component is faulty as per the codes.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Engine light went Off, no further errors reported. Went to Mechanic and he found that the third! Catalytic converter, the one that is not in the exhaust manifolds, was blocked! This was removed and power has been restored.

I'm glad to hear that your car is up and running again.

Cheers