UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

tiara: back together..tapping..mean i now have a hydrolic..engine down…

Customer Question
Hi there! i've just changed...
Hi there! i've just changed my wifes tigra 1.4cc 1.6v headgasket over the last weekend,yes a large amount of stripping down was nessesary,i've managed to put it all back together now but i have found that one lifter is continuarly tapping/knocking.I have let it tick over for 10-15mins but it's still there, dose this mean i now have a hydrolic lifter knackered and it means i have to strip the engine down again? please advise me. thanx! steve in welshpool,powys.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The head gasket business is a worry for sure... Ordinarily I would have said yes, you have "no good" hydraulic tappet... but if its oil supply is not there , due to a blocked oil gallery... it will tap forever - as would a new one..

What I suggest you do is remove the rocker cover and check the valve train / camshafts...and look to see if there are any dry area.. I mean , really dry.. There should be an equal amount of oil everywhere - and plenty of it.

Then, start the engine and allow it to idle - and watch to see if the oil supply is good and even - or not... ( This can be messy - so I suggest protection where you can - for the manifolds etc ) but its the best / cheapest way forward at this point..

If you see a definate dry area...you have a worry with that headgasket...

If its uniformly got oil everywhere... then its a duff / sticking tappet...and will need renewal...and with the lid off - you should be able to ID the one as well....

If it is a tappet though - I honestly would suggest renewal of all - that way its a good job done...and the cams have to come out anyway so....

Just a point - If you can recall on building the engine that you forced a tappet / hydraulic tappet into its bore... as does sometimes occur - that will be the offending one as its sticking.... so may be just worth thinking about that. All the tappets must fit nice and easy into each of their respective bores / holes over the springs...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.