UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

This problem of my rover 75, 2.5litres year 1999..start once..smoke…

Customer Question
please help me with this...
please help me with this problem of my rover 75, 2.5litres year 1999. when i want to start it anytime it will not start once, i have to start it for 5, to 7 minutes before it will start and when it start it brings out a bad smoke and the engine doset work well please to me what can i do to this problem, thanks from edward.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/27/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Bob, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bob
Bob, UK Car Mechanic

Hi there hope i can be of assistance.

What colour is the smoke?

Thanks Bob

black smoke

Thanks for the reply,

Ok black smoke indicates to much air, or not enough fuel in the cylinder.

So now have a very detailed inspection of the air intake pipes. Check for any splits, cracks or chaffing.

If no fault found here, have the inlet manifold gasket rings checked as these can wear over time.

If the fault is still present have the fuel filter replaced.

Let me know how you get on, as i may need to assist you further.

Thanks Bob

please can fuel pump also cause the problem?

Sorry for the delay.

This wouldnt usually cause the black smoke or rough running.

However you can still check this.

There are 2 pumps in the tank. Lift up the rear seats. You want the pump on the drivers left (as sat in the drivers seat.)

Simply undo the 10mm headed bolts to remove the back cover.

The with a screw driver, knock off the out holding ring.

Undo the pipes off the top.

The carefully lift out the pump, taking care not to loose the black selaing ring in the tank.

Then put one hand on the bottom, and one hand on top. Twist, the pump. You should hear a 'click' and this will be the pump back together again.

Then re-build.

Thanks Bob

sorry i was in toilet, some one told me that is can also cause from intakemanifold is that true? really am confuse with this problem. thanks edward.

There are known issues with the intake manifold. However, this dosent usually cause poor starting or black smoke.

The problem with the manifold is usually the noise, as the tend to rattle when the small butterfly actuating arms wear and sometimes become disconnected.

Thanks Bob

is it not better for me to buy a new feul pump and feul filter to change it and see if it will stop.

I would strongly recommend trying to 'click' the fuel pump back together first.

From experience, we dont replace many of these pumps.

A replacement filter, is a good idea.

Thanks Bob