UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bmw: sport..fitted..diagnostic..449a charge air pressure actuator…

Customer Question
hi, i have a bmw...
hi, i have a bmw 118d sport and it keeps cutting out after half an hour of driving, it all strarted after i had a new clutch kit fitted yesterday, i had diagnostic done and it came up with the codes 1: 449a charge air pressure actuator, and the second fault showing reads 16899 undocumented code. Can you pls share some light on any of these codes or give me any tips or advice, i would be deeply greatful. kind regards dean.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/26/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The fault codes you have are probably not relevant at all - but you should delete them - and re run the vehicle...then have the FCR - code test done again - to see if the codes are historic or not..and go from there then..

Given the fact that you have this problem since changing the clutch - first, check the pipework very carefully around the engine bay and especially around by the charge pressure actuator... just in case..

Other than that - the most likely problem is a failing Cas - crank shaft sensor.

This is a common problem on these models and would certainly account for your symptoms. These sensors often don't give fault codes neither which can be very misleading!

So work through as above and Im sure you will get to the bottom of this...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

hi,

thank for prompt reply,just one other thing where is the cranksaft sensor located on these models, and also where is the charge pressure actuator located and wat does it look like and size.

Hi again - thank you for your reply -

I will give you a parts explosion below showing the crank sensor and its location...

click the image to open..

graphic

As for the charge pressure actuator Im afraid Im struggling with that one..Generally they were on the bulkhead - a small solenoid with small pipes - but I don't want to mislead you at all - .I think with that you will have to give your cars reg number and VIN to a local Bmw parts depot and they can then look that up for you ... There have been changes on these throughout production...so thats the best advice on that one... Some as far as Im aware don't even have them - but they wil confirm that for you ..

I hope that helps you further....

Best Rgds, MIKE

thanks for reply.

regards dean.

HI there....

Thats fine , no problem at all...

I hope all goes well for you - Im sure it will..

Please don't forget the Accept button for me - Thank You... and you are Welcome back anytime...

Best Rgds - MIKE.