UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bmw x5: starts perfectly..5% of the time it struggles to start…

Customer Question
hi, i have just bought a...
hi,
i have just bought a bmw x5. 90% of the time it starts perfectly. 5% of the time it struggles to start. it does in the end, but i am worried it might not one day.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/26/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the main fuel pump is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.