UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

FAST TICKOVER ABOUT 1250 RPM..ENGINES..DRIVES..ALREADY CHANGED…

CORSA B X14XE HAS FAST...
CORSA B X14XE HAS FAST TICKOVER ABOUT 1250 RPM AND IF IDLING TOO LONG ERROR LIGFHT COMES ON AND THE ENGINES STILL IDLES THE SAME.CAR DRIVES PERFECT APART FROM THE FAST IDLE AND HAVE ALREADY CHANGED IDLE VALVE AND STILL THE SAME.
6/24/2010
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running. you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth cleaning out the pipework to the idle speed control motor / valve as these get clogged up with carbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter is faulty

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Thank you for the answer i can hear a slight air noice on the throttle body side so i will give this area some more attention.Thank you for this answer because it is a second opinion i needed and your reply matches the answer i wanted to hear.thanks
No problem