UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have locked my car keys inside the bonnet of my mgtf, can…

I have locked my car...
I have locked my car keys inside the bonnet of my mgtf, can you help with any suggestions on how to open the bonnet as I do not have a spare key
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
David, UK Car Mechanic

Hi I have done one of these with the keys locked in the boot and the only way I found to get in was to unbolt the hinges on the boot lid. I did this by removing the metal panel under the trim where the roof folds in to and then unbolting the bootlid and lifting it up. Hopefully if you can do this you can reach in and use the bonnet release handle in the boot.

I hope this will help but please feel free to ask if I can help you further

Dave

David, UK Car Mechanic
Does this mean loosening the four special bolts? Would this require a special key/tool to loosen these bolts and is this panel sealed? thanking you for the help you have offered.

Hi the panel under the trim has a rubber seal on it so it will seal itself when you refit it later. I can't remember which sort of bolts hold the bootlid in place but I'm sure they weren't anything special as I was in the AA at the time and the tools we had on board the vans were very limited. The bolts you need to un do will be visible once the trim is removed and you look inside through the hole.

Dave

Edited by David on 6/24/2010 at 8:52 PM EST
thanks for your help.