UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

coupe: cruise..jumps..new plugs,coil pack air flow meter still nothing…

Customer Question
my car 2litre turbo astra...
my car 2litre turbo astra coupe has fault when you cruise at around 3000revs or above and put your foot down the car jumps about like a miss fire but not,almost like fuel not getting through,had everything checked on computer,all ok. I have had new plugs,coil pack air flow meter still nothing,and a new turbo but no joy,HELP please!!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/25/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth cleaning out the pipework to the idle speed control motor / valve as these can get clogged up with carbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or its connection to the wiring is faulty