UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 passat: sea sick, it also kicks..tyres..mot..rear springs…

Customer Question
i have a 1999 passat...
i have a 1999 passat estate 1.8 it bounces so much on the back end you get sea sick, it also kicks out when you hit a man hole cover, the tyres seem fine and suprisingly it passed an mot while in this condition, we have replaced the rear shocks and the rear springs i,m lost please help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/24/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello

I'd check for any tightness in the suspension 1st and do a careful visual inspection to see if anything is clashing or leaving witness marks on the body or other parts of the suspension.

Pay attention to the anti-roll bar links especially as they will give this sort of symptom,

also check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel) there should be no play in either direction. Any play will usually require the joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle. If so replace the bush

If there’s play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.