UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

dealership..our captivas faulty air conditioning..air conditioner…

Customer Question
why can't the salford dealership...
why can't the salford dealership (XXXXX XXXXX) sort our Captiva's faulty air conditioning! We purchased our almost new Captiva from stockport april 2009 with 3 yrs warranty specifically for european camping trips. We first reported the air conditioner wasn't working approx June 2009, they had it in several times but were unable to fix it before the end of July when we had to endure a journey to croatia withour aircon!. On our return we had to recontact the garage to find out they were sitting on a part that they had ordered prior to our departure and hadn't bothered to tell us of its arrival!
The saga has continued on and off with numerous periods in the workshop( now the most local is salford! - which has cost us dear in petrol although the custmer service guy has succeeded of late in securing loan vehicles!). we now find ourselves 1 month prior to our camping trip to italy and they want to take the vehicle down south to their air con experts(??!!) to dimsantle the dash. We are worried sick that not only will this fail to sort the problem but we may even be left with something worse!!. I feel they should give us a replacement now - in time for our trip and to make the necssary reg changes with P+O rather than waiting till a week before our trip to discover they have failed yet again. Would be grateful for your thoughts/advice

Fioan +Clint
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/23/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Bill_Crosby, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bill_Crosby
Bill_Crosby, UK Car Mechanic

Good evening, I hope I can help you.

XXXXX XXXXX are under no obligation to supply another vehicle and register changes with your ferry company for your holiday.

I would advise that you delay the repair until you get back from holiday just in case something goes wrong with the repair and you are then left stranded.

You may not like to hear this advice but under the circumstances it is the safest option, unless that is that XXXXX XXXXX do agree to cover the cost of the changes to your booking and supply a courtesy car.

Bill.

what obligation do they have to fix it then! surely 14 months of trying is as near to failure as it can get. I feel we have been more than patient with this and find it hard to accept your answer. the vehicle was bought for a specific purpose and it is not fit for purpose . Where is the point of these warranties if they can just string things along with no solution! Surely we don't have to accept that it might never be fixed before the magical out of warranty date!!! It seems to me its all about the will to succeed. While they're footing the bill, who cares, but as soon as its the customers money it would be a different story? It seems highly plausible that the air con never worked on this vehicle seeing as it was an ex demo/used by the manager

The specific purpose of a vehicle is to transport you from A to B. It can do this with or without aircon working.

I agree 14 months is too long to wait for a fix but you have to take some responsibility for that also.

When you were given the loan car you should not have returned it until you were satisfied that yours had been repaired.

I can only answer questions the way I see it from my 30 yrs experience in the motor trade. You may not like or agree with my answer but it is an independent view to your problem. I don't get paid by XXXXX XXXXX, nor do I get paid to upset you. I only get paid if you accept my answer. If I were only interested in getting paid I would have told you what you wanted to hear which I obviously have not done.

Instead I have given a balanced answer to the question originally posed, which was why cant they sort it, should they supply an alternative vehicle and should they cover the cost of amending your tickets.

In an ideal world they should be able to fix your aircon system. In an ideal world they should supply you with an alternative vehicle if they are having trouble repairing it or cant get parts. In an ideal world they should cover the cost of any additional cost you incur from changing tickets to another vehicle registration.

However in my view, the aircon system does not stop the car from running which is the sticking point for you.

Sorry.

Bill.

Thanks anyway - the problem with the loan car is it is not big enough nor does it have the modifications we need for the trip -a family of 5 camping, we have a trailer and roof box when we go away - we could try asking them to loan us another captiva but I doubt they could produce one with a towbar and roofbars!
most of the time we have not even had a loan car - it is only since chev customer services stepped in recently that they have even provided that. we will just have to keep pressuring them but its not a very good advert for chev

I would advise taking your own car on holiday and getting the repair done as soon as you get back.

You wont get a hire car or loan car with a towbar anywhere.

Good luck on your holiday.

Bill.