UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

rover..i put the clutch..rev meter go up.When at traffic lights..40mph…

Customer Question
I have a rover 414...
I have a rover 414 and recently when i put the clutch in to change gear for no apparent reason it makes the rev meter go up.When at traffic lights etc it can rev up to 4000 revs without me touching the accellorater at all.The only way I can get it to stop reving is to sharply give the accelorater a push. I am not touching the accellerator at this point. and also in low gears it still revs higher than it should do.The other day I travelled 3 miles at 40mph without touching the accelorater.

Can you help me please
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/20/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Bob, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bob
Bob, UK Car Mechanic

Hi there hope i can be of assistance.

Ok first have an inspection of the engine bay. Check the air intake hose for any signs of a small split.

If this is ok, disocnnect the throttle cable from the throttle body. Then work the throttle arm by hand, this should quickly flick back into position once you let go.

If this is ok, then its likely that the throttle body stepper motor needs re-setting. This needs to be done using MG-Rover diagnostic equipment, so youll need to contact your local current or Ex MG-Rover dealer.

Thanks Bob