UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

02:47.5

Customer Question
hi i have a an...
hi i have a an x reg vw passat, when the car is used after being left stood for more than a few hours, the car struggles to get any power, for the first few minutes of driving it the car is really sluggish and jerky, but when the engines warms up it seems to solve the problem, however when the engine is then turned off if i try to start it again, it's like the engine is flooded and i have to wait a while for it to start again. the car is eating fuel only doing 60 miles for £20. i've took it to 4 different garages and nobody can give me a definitive answer, i've had it plugged in to engine diagnostics but is coming back clear saying there is no fault codes??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/20/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Bob, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bob
Bob, UK Car Mechanic

Hi there hope i can be of assistance.

Ok there if there are no conclusive fault codes this will have to be diagnosed manually.

I would first try an emmisions test. This is the same done during an MOT test. By examining the exhaust emmisions we can pin point which sensor/actuators arnt working as the should further up the line.

This test can bring up faults such as the air flow meter. If this is faulty it can cause the wrong fuelling which will limit performance.

Also have the operation of the ECT sensor checked. This also effects fuelling in relation to engine temperature.

Thanks Bob