UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

SMOKES A LOT AND REVS DROP AWAY EVEN WHEN YOU KEEP YOUR..PEDAL..AGAIN.

Customer Question
MY SHOWGUN 2.5 STARTS BUT...
MY SHOWGUN 2.5 STARTS BUT RUNS LUMPY REVS TO 2500RPM SMOKES A LOT AND REVS DROP AWAY EVEN WHEN YOU KEEP YOUR FOOT ON PEDAL DROPS REVS RIGHT DOWN THEM GOES BACK UP TO 2500RPM AND SAME AGAIN.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 day by:
6/21/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Technopro, Aussie+Euro+Korean+Japanese Technician replied 8 years ago
Technopro
Technopro, Aussie+Euro+Korean+Japanese Technician

Hi there,

Is it black smoke at the exaust? Is it when the vehicle is hot or cold?

Cheers

hello its white smoke and smokes all the time from cold and when its hot only revs to 2500 rpm and drops right down to almost stalling but doesnt quite stall and the it will do the same again. cheers pete.

Hi Pete,

for the white smoke, it is definitely something to do with cold start problem, that is glow plugs not working.

I would be looking at the filters(Air + Fuel) for any restrictions before going into more tests.

Let me know how things work for you.

Cheers

hi i have changed heater plugs resently do you think they could of failed that quick now on yhe dash i have got a light on witch means water in fuel filter plus i have checked the fuel line and where they come out the tank the feed pipe has got a guberly clip whitch looks rusty and lose could that be letting air in to system i will test glog plus on battery tomorrow afterwork cheers pete

I suggest you renew the clip and make sure the hoses are not cracked as well. A model of the Pajero(which uses the same kind of setup) has a problem of air sucking due to a poor tensioned hose clip which has to be replaced by a different model.

It will be also a good idea to make sure your glow plugs are good and the power to the glow plugs is ok.

Wait for your findings.

Cheers

hi i have tested plugs all in good working order i have bort new pipe clips just got replase them now but it has been raining bad here will do change of clips tomorrow cheers pete

Pete, let me know how you get on.

Cheers