UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

fitted new timing belt kit.runs great for 15mins..limp mode .no…

Customer Question
fitted new timing belt kit.runs...
fitted new timing belt kit.runs great for 15mins then goes into limp mode.no acceleration.turn engine off. thens runs again ok for a short while.code readed it.no stored faults
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/19/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter is faulty
thanks for reply matt however i found the fault.on this type of vehicle when the coolant temp reads to high it puts vehicle into limp mode to stop engine overheating
Thanks for letting me know
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held in escrow until you press accept at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert.
If you don't press accept then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.