UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

hi. vitara 16i 2001 42000mls. starts fine. eratic tickover.hesitent…

Customer Question
hi. vitara 16i 2001 42000mls...
hi. vitara 16i 2001 42000mls. starts fine. eratic tickover.hesitent under load. sooty exhaust pipe. new plugs air filter.the problem is not consitent.some days fine. help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/18/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

For this to be happening , and intermittently , its very likely a sensor issue - causing the engine to run rich - and hence, give you the sooty exhaust , erratic tick over etc..

Check though , all the piping . etc for loose fittings, slits - and even restrictions ..and go from there then as follows - so as not to miss anything silly as it were..

From what you have described this sounds like an Ect sensor problem... This is the engine coolant sensor - not the one the controls the gauge - but the one that sends signals to the cars Ecu.. main computer - re. the temperature of the engine.

The Ecu then sends commands to the fueling and ignition systems according. If the sensor is faulty and thus sends incorrect , or no info to the ecu as above, the fuel and air mixture will be incorrect and thus do as you describe resulting in poor running and no start situations and / or the symptoms you describe..

If you remember the old auto and manual choke systems...it works like that , only electronically. If and when the choke was in the wrong position for the temp of the engine, the engine either wouldn't start or coughed and spluttered... exactly the same.

So, without the aid of plug in diagnostics at the moment and the results thereof - its well worth renewing that sensor. Its usually located on the inlet thermostat housing , inlet manifold or thereabouts depending on model and has a two wires pin connector going to it.

Always buy one from a dealer / genuine unit. If you are unsure as to its position - ask the parts dept; when you are in there, to show you on the screen where it is located ....

The other thing that could cause this is a faulty MAF- air flow meter... Tis tells the ecu as above the amount of air flow etc into the engine and again, the ecu alters the fueling according....

As the ECT sensor is a reasonably cheap and quick to change item ( about 3-5 mins !) and its a very common issue - I would recommend that to be your first move and all being well , that will be that..

IF though you do experience the problem again - the air flow would be the next suspect but I wouldn't advocate just changing parts then - I would suggest have a local garage do a proper diagnostic test using plug in equipment to trace / ID the fault....

So work through as above and you will have this cured..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.