UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Leaking fluid..the back and makes funny whining noises in reverse…

Customer Question
HI my car leaking fluid...
HI my car leaking fluid under engine at the back and makes funny whining noises in reverse,thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello

1st thing to check is what type of fluid is being lost, is you examine the fluid and feel a little between finger and thumb you can tell if its slippery / oil or water, smelling it will also help identify what it is.

If its towards the back then it could be coolant, or engine oil or even gearbox oil from the differential.

Its worth checking the fluid levels of the engine and the box as its possible the whining noise is due to low oil level but also be aware that reverse gear will whine as normal, with a pitch that increases with speed.

This is due to the shape of the gear on reverse which is known as a straight cut gear and are cheap to make and strong but do whine in use.