UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Audi a6: litre..it kangeroos mainly in low gears

Customer Question
hi i have an audi...
hi i have an audi a6 2 litre s-line and its 3 yrs old.my problem is it kangeroos mainly in low gears.i would appreciate some advice on this matter.rgds miss tolley.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/11/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

By far the most common cause of such behavior especially on these cars, is a partially clogged fuel filter....

Of course there may be other causes which can be determined on inspection but that is the usualy cause as they often dont get changed even on cars that are regularly serviced......

So I would suggest to arrange to have the checked and renewed if its more that 12 months old ...

The other things that can cause this are air / vacuum leaks on the air intake system...faulty air flow meter and such like as well as general service items...

If needed, it will have to be plugged on to a Audi diagnostic machine to trace the fault - and as its only 3 years old, you are best using an Audi dealer for that .... but have the other items as above checked - a local garage can do this for you and then go from there if and as needed...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

hi mike i am trying to sort this fault for my partner,i to am a mechanic of 20 yrs all be it plant but do not have the diagnostic material to check this out. i have read your answer and my question would be if a fuel filter was partially clogged in my experiances would suffer under load with loss of power ie: going up hills,this is not the case.with all the advanced technology these days i just need pointing in the write direction as am more than capable fixing this fault.i appreciate your time and will try your vacuum option.kind rgds dean.
Hi again - thank you for your reply...and further info.

It definitely sounds like a fueling issue though. Even partially clogging will cause this on the modern engines ads fueling is critical to correct running and the same goes for the injectors..

There was a little bit of confusion at first as you listed it as 1997 - but then I note you say its only 3 year old.... The latter being the case, its critical that the injectors are running absolutely correctly with no problems at all with fuel supply - so for the price of a filter its always worth just doing that.

Other typical problems with these are with the air flow meter... You can disconnect this and try it ... If power is restored , that usually identifies that as a problem...

Other than that as above - as it is only 3 year old.. you really are best having it connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - as there is very little you can check else on these....

Im not sure if its under warranty still - if it is , have them check it for you. If not - many smaller garages have suitable equipment to diagnostically check these but that would be the next step assuming all the basics are covered..

I hope that helps you further -

Best Rgds, MIKE