UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

bmw: 56 plate..automatic..stopping..break the rev keeps conkine…

Customer Question
i have a bmw 5...
i have a bmw 5 series 56 plate it is automatic when i am stopping and my leg is in the break the rev keeps conkine out it fells like the car is shaking
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
6/9/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello

Does the engine stalling only occur when you are braking?
Does the car idle Ok ?
how many miles are on the car?
Doe s the car accelerate and change gear OK?
It only happen when I break and it is automatic it's done about(NNN) NNN-NNNNmile
Hello

In that case I'd check around the braking system / servo hose for any signs of an airleak

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.