UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Misfire..speed above 30/40 now, egr, coil pack plugs, filter..removing…

Customer Question
vauxhall zafira misfire 3 constant...
vauxhall zafira misfire 3 constant engine light on restricting speed above 30/40 now, egr, coil pack plugs, filter, etc all changed recently to no joy . someone suggested removing valve, what harm does this do, problem been there for over couple months now driving us nuts. car has done over 100,000 miles and is 52 plate but would still expect it to drive better please help
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: Bill_Crosby, UK Car Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Bill_Crosby
Bill_Crosby, UK Car Mechanic

Good evening, I hope I can help you.

You need to remove the egr valve and fit a blanking gasket in its place. You then need to get your vauxhall dealer to reprogram the ecu and take away any reference to the egr valve and stop any fault codes being generated.

This will cost about £80 at most vauxhall dealerships.

Bill.

Sorry but have looked into that and for 2 reasons it cant be done - 1, the misfire fault needs to be the cylinder next to egr valve and ours is misfire 3 (no 4 is next to egr), also 2, the garage is unwilling to reprogramme the ecu as it is illegal (according to them) to remove egr due to emissions.

Someone has since suggested the o2 sensor being dipped in acid to clean it as they had same problem, but we have never heard of this, can you please advise on this?

Thanks

Vauxhall have a software upgrade to solve this problem so being told its illegal is ****.

Also as for the misfire having to be on a particular cylinder is also ****.

If your local dealer wont do the software upgrade for you then phone around to the next nearest to see if they will.

Also search on google for 'vauxhall egr' to see what the bulletin boards say and what cures problem.

You will find I am correct.

I have been a vauxhall master tech for almost 20 yrs.

Bill

Excerpt from vauxhall service bulletin.

Cause: The Euro 4 emission standard will be met even without EGR-valve. This is because of a modified ECU calibration.
Production: On Speedster the EGR valve will remain until end of production. On the Vectra-C, Astra-G and Zafira the EGR-valve will be omit during MY 2004 (running change). The following modifications will be introduced: 1. Engine wiring harness adapted 2. Cover plate for the exhaust gas recirculation duct 3. Omission of exhaust gas recirculation pipe 4. Intake manifold without connection for exhaust gas recirculation pipe 5. New engine control unit calibration 6. Modified bracket for upper engine cover

Remedy:
In case of customer complaint where an EGR valve is detected as faulty
during diagnosis, it should not be renewed but removed.
1. Close exhaust gas recirculation port with a cover plate (Part-/Cat.-No.:
24575592 / 58 50 526) by using gasket (Part-/Cat.-No.: 12570863 / 08 51 761).
The groove on the plate has to show in direction of radiator and and the
plate labeling upwards.
2. Fix the superfluous wiring harness connector with a cable strap
(connector port in direction to front wall).
3. Program ECU with SPS as of TIS-CD 50 (select without EGR).
For torque values and labour time please refer to Service Instruction
"Demounting and mounting EGR valve".

Field Remedy: 1897
Subject: Z16XE engine - EGR malfunction
Models: Engines: Option:
Astra-G 2002...2004,Meriva 2003...2004,Vectra-C 2002...2004,Zafira 2002...2004 Z16XE,Z16XE,Z16XE,Z16XE MT,MTA
Complaint: Telltale on, driveabilty complaints, jerking, trouble code P0400 set
Cause: Deposits in EGR between pintle and guide
Production: As of engine number 20BY2510 (10 October 2003) a stepped pintle EGR valve with several design improvements has been introduced.

Remedy:
This remedy is valid for the following models only:

Engine Model Transmission Modelyear until Engine-BP
Z16XE Astra-G MT 2002 - 2004 20CK1163
Z16XE Meriva-A MT & MTA 2003 - 2004 20CF5854
Z16XE Vectra-C MT 2002 - 2004 20CR2606
Z16XE Zafira-A MT 2002 - 2004 20CF5860
Please refer to QI 1899, TSB 1900, QI 1953 or Special Policy Program 05-P-25 for other models with family 1 engine.
In case of customer complaint replace EGR gasket and reprogram engine ECU with software as of TIS 2000 CD 64 or later:

1. Replace EGR gasket by the new version (Part No. 55 560 700,
with flag) before reprogramming the ECU.
- see working procedure „Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve,
Remove and Install”, Group „L“ of the corresponding
Service Instruction.
Note: The new version of the gasket (1-bore version) can be identified by a ‘flag’ at the outer side of the gasket.

2. Reprogram engine ECU with modified software (Software Version
available as of TIS 2000, CD 64) to deactivated the EGR
valve function.
Spare-Parts: Part-No.: Catalogue-No.:
Gasket 55 560 700 91 06 319
Labour Times: TC: Hours:
U3 189 71 Replace Gasket and 92 0,3
reprogram engine ECU
The costs for this repair will be covered for vehicles not older than 6 years and a mileage lower than 100.000 km.

The regular warranty procedure should be used for claiming Set-up-time.

FunctionalGroup: J - Engine,L - Fuel- and Exhaust System
Complaint Group: 13 - No/Poor Function,19 - Poor Engine Driveability,20 - Poor Performance
Trouble Code: P0400

Field Remedy: 1899
Subject: Family 1 engine - EGR malfunction
Models: Engines: Option:
Astra-G 2001...2004,Corsa-C 2001...2005,Zafira 2001...2004,Vectra-B 2001...,Vectra-C 2002...2003 Z14XE| Z16XE| Z16YNG,Z14XE| Z18XE,Z16YNG,Z16XE,Z18XE All
Production: As of following engine numbers a stepped pintle EGR valve with several design improvements has been introduced: Z14XE (Astra G, only MT) 20CK1163 Z16YNG (Astra-G, Zafira-A) 02PV1729 Z18XE (Corsa-C) 20AS5625 Z18XE (Vectra-C) 20AN8145

Remedy:

Z14XE Astra-G AT 2001 - 2004 all
Z14XE Astra-G MT 2001 - 2004 20CK1163
Z14XE Corsa-C MT 2001 - 2003 all
Z14XE Corsa-C AT 2001 - 2005 no BP available
Z16XE Astra-G AT 2001 - 2004 no BP available
Z16XE Vectra-B MT & AT 2001 all
Z16YNG Astra-G MT 2003 - 2004 02PV1729
Z16YNG Zafira-A MT 2001 - 2004 02PV1729
Y16YNG Zafira-A MT 2001 - 2004 02PV1729
Z18XE Corsa-C MT 2001 - 2003 20AS5625
Z18XE Vectra-C MT 2002 - 2003 20AN8145
Please refer to TSB 1897, TSB 1900, QI 1953 or Special Policy Program 05-P-25 for other models with family 1 engine.
In case of customer complaint replace EGR valve by modified version with stepped pintle guide,

- see working procedure „Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve, Remove and
Install”, Group „L“ of the corresponding Service Instruction.
Trouble Code: P0400

Bill.

Edited by Bill_Crosby on 3/31/2010 at 10:41 PM EST
Many thanks for that, however, after having tried Vauxhall head office and our local one, no-one is willing to do this, saying that egr fault would show, rather than misfire, they are adamant it is ecu. Our local Vauxhall dealer wants to start again at the beginning (even after our local garage has spent months on it) and charge us plenty in the process, but we have already spent enough. Head office were even less helpful, saying no recall on our model means no further help, great eh? I understand exactly what you are saying I just wish someone could fix it, do you have any contacts up here in Livingston (or near Edinburgh) who could help. Our code was 300 and something a misfire for cylinder 3, not the egr valve.

I used to work at curtis motors in dunfermline and I think that steve curtis cars in dalgety bay will do this for you if you ask for it specifically.

Misfire code P0303 would have been the one recorded for cyl 3. This could be caused by a faulty coil pack, spark plug or injector.

You have already replaced the coil, so you could try replacing the plugs and moving the injector to another cylinder to see if the misfire cures or moves cylinder but I would still look to block the egr and have it reprogrammed..

Bill.

You are right the coil pack was replaced, but so was plugs (vauxhall ones as well), and our garage did move the injector to no 4 hoping the fault would move, but it never did, typical!! In last couple of days light has been going off when foot not on accelerator (strange) but when it is being pressed and trying to build up speed it comes back on. Do you still think its the egr valve? If so, I could always call that firm but it is quite a bit away, and with the car struggling over distance I would worry it wouldnt make it.

Incidentally, to the above info our car has gone through a ridiculous amount of petrol recently meaning we get between 20 and 30 miles for every tenner that goes into it, something not right with that. I have noticed on forums for other people they talk about the mass air flow sensor having something to do with petrol, is this a possible link to our problem do you think? Or would the code be completely different. The only worry is that it means more money for the part and replacment is not sure to fix the problem. Hope you can shed more light on this with the additional info.

Many thanks

Not sure why you havent replied to last query, or if you have been away could you please let me know what you think about the above question. THanks