UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

VW Golf: 2001 model 1.9 sdi..Chassis..ecu..defective..second hand

I have a 2001 model...
I have a 2001 model 1.9 SDI VW Golf. Chassis no: WVWZZZ1JZ2W361983

The ECU is defective.

I have been offered second hand / used VW ECU's by two car breakers in the UK.

One has the part number:NNN-NN-NNNNL

The other has the part numberNNN-NN-NNNNJ

Will either of these parts work on my Golf?

RSVP

Nick Legg
3/11/2010
David, UK Car Mechanic

Hi I've had a quick look and theNNN-NN-NNNNL fits a Polo so it's no good for you but theNNN-NN-NNNNJ should be the right one for your golf so I would opt for this one.

I hope this helps and if I can be of further help please feel free to ask

David, UK Car Mechanic
David,

Thanks for the prompt response. Appreciated!

I have a couple of other Q's related to the problem:

I called in to Murray Volkswagen this afternoon. They gave me the following p//n for the ECU on my car/chassis number:NNN-NN-NNNNS. It's very similar to the one I quoted I've been offered which you think will be OK:NNN-NN-NNNNJ. But not the same. You don't envisage a problem?

Secondly, you're in Plymouth, I'm in Torquay. Could you fit the replacement ECU for me?

RSVP

Nick

According to my computer that ECU is for 2002 onwards but this doesn't mean that theNNN-NN-NNNNJ has not been superseded to the later part number. They both relate to the AQM engine which is hopefully the engine code you have, this should be in your service book.

I would fit the ECU for you but they need to be coded to the car by a VW dealer due to the immobilizer system. If you just replace the ECU your car won't start so they would end up having to do the whole job I'm afraid.

David,

Could you give me a ball park figure for what they will charge for fitting and re-coding the ECU?

RSVP

Nick
David,

Mann Egerton, Exeter have just quoted me £95.18 inc VAT which doesn't sound too bad.

BTW: Another breaker has an ECU off a 2003 Skoda Octavia 1.9SDI with the p/n:
NNN-NN-NNNN

.......would that be as, less or more suitable, as it is closer to the p/n of the one that's on the car already?

BTW2: ECUNNN-NN-NNNNJ is on a 2001 Polo SDI

Thanks for your time and advice!

Nick
David,

I've been talking to spare parts suppliers via the online parts finder sites; Parts Gateway and 1stChoice. No-one has an ECU with p/nNNN-NN-NNNNS

I've spoken to the Mann Egerton VW, Exeter and Murray Volkswagen, Newton Abbot. They say you have to use the ECU with the same part number the VW computer shows for this vehicle.

What do you think?

RSVP

Nick
Hi could you supply me with your exact engine code please as this will help me more to see why there are so many different ecus showing up? It should be either AGP or AQM as far as I can see.
It's AQM183637

Nick

Hi Nick I've been having a look around and it looks like it will have to be theNNN-NN-NNNNS ECu for your car with that engine code. The one for the Octavia isn't listed for any VW vehicles. The best I have done is find a ECU at £179 plus P&P or you can try BBA Reman who may be able to repair the ECU that you have.

Sorry I can't help much more than this but I hope you find one soon.

Dave

David,

Thanks for yours. I've bought a recon unit from a chap in Nottinghamshire who advertises on Ebay Classico!

I've got it booked into VW Exeter on Thursday next week for fitting and coding. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your good advice. I appreciate it.

Nick

David, UK Car Mechanic