UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Coupe: Renault megane..Reg..all the car occasionaly stalled..wont fire…

Renault megane coupe 98 S...
Renault megane coupe 98 S Reg. Wont start.Prior to it not working at all the car occasionaly stalled and 'missed'

Engine turns over but wont fire. Have checked and recharged battery. Replaced TDC sensor with new one from Renault and new loom, have replaced coil packs, replaced plugs. Have checked earth straps amd fuses and still no joy. Occassionaly one of the relays in the engine compartment ( fuel injection relay) continually clicks when the ignition is turned on. Have switched it over with the same looking one but still same problem. Could this be the issue?? Any other ideas?
1/3/2010
UK Auto Mechanic: andy, UK Car Mechanic replied 12 years ago
andy
andy, UK Car Mechanic
hi there and welcome
i have done a few coupes for this and the problem is a bad earth!
now finding it is difficult but by far the most common one is look under the bonnet, standing at the drivers side wing, look down the back of the engine bay, behind the steering wheel, you will see the main loom there, move the loom and you will sea 2 wires (think they are black and red) and they go to the ring terminal on the engine block, chances are that they have broken... remake the earth to those wires mate
hope this helps
andy

Thanks for your answer. I cant see a red and black wire, there is one black wire from the loom to the engine block that is attached to the same part of the block as the main earth strap. There is another black wire with a slightly lighter stripe on it also from the loom, this appears to have been re earthed before as it has 'choc block' and additonal wire - poor quality- but this is connected to the bulk head end of the earth strap. I have checked both, cleaned up and reconnected with better wire and connector but no life still ! Still get the relay continually clicking on and off when the ignition is on.

like i say finding it will be difficult, i can only give you the common ones, the rest is up to you i,m afraid..
the only other place they normally break is on thge bottom of the relay itself... pull the relay holder off the clip and check under there to see if the terminals have broken
andy
andy
andy, UK Car Mechanic

Andy, Thank you! this has done the trick Smile

I thought i had checked them all but went back over them again and turns out it was the one of ecu loom to engine block earths- the one I didn't repair yesterday! Connector was attached to block and wire was sat in snug in the crimp but as I undid the retaiing bolt the wire popped out! New crimp and wire and started first time! Should have tried this site before getting new TDC and coil packs and plugs- still at least i know these are all tip top now.

As so often the case its the silly little things.

Thanks again.

hi bud, glad i could help you...
thanks for the accept
andy