UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have just bought a second hand peugeot 206 cc, just taken…

hi, i have just bought...
hi, i have just bought a second hand peugeot 206 cc, just taken it to an independant mechanic to check it over as i know nothing about engines!!! When hooked up to the diagnostics computer, it was coming up Transmission Temperature Circuit Malfunction. Any idea what that means, and whether it is anything major? thanks
6/13/2009
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Hi.

What year is the car?
Hi there, it is a 2002 plate, 1.6 manual petrol
Hi..

Basically i won't do anything to restrict performance. but its there to warn of the transmisson's temperature..there is the option of having the sensor changed which would be the more benefical route to take.but before anything is change is make sure the wiring to the sensor isn't damaged or loose.if nothings found then it will be a case of replacing the sensor and clear the fault memory.
it won't damage the engine or anything in the meantime then, hopefully? When you say transmission, is that the gearbox? Just trying to get as much info as poss, so when i take it back to the dealer to sort out, (told him when i bought the car i would be taking it elsewhere to be checked, he said anything found take it back to him), so that i at least appear to know what i'm on about, and when i get my mate to recheck it, he knows what should've been done. what will happen if nothing is done about it, and any idea roughly how much i should be looking at if i need to pay to get it done? Cheers
oh, by the way, will be accepting your answer, just trying to find out as much as poss before i go back to the dealer, in case you thought i was just picking your brain and not going to pay you, haha!!!
Hi.

Yes gearbox.And it should'nt damage the box as it only there to verify the temperature. on "occassion" as it in connection with the traction control module and PCM/ECM it may well put the car into limp mode as sort of safety feature until the cars is taken to a garage. It should be a long job to carry out as its bolted into the gearbox. they may need to just top up the fluid level as when they remove this sensor fluid may escape.the sensor itself should'nt really cost that much say around £20 approx but pricing does change form time to time.But once this is done then the fault memory needs to be cleared using diagnostic equipment after the new ones been installed.
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
That's great thanks, ***** ***** mind at rest a bit, and I can show a bit of know how when I go back to the dealer on Tuesday, he's got to tighten the door mouldings for me, so I can tell him about this issue too. Out of curiosity, what is limp mode and PCM/ECM? Hope you don't mind me nagging, but I'm one of those that wants to know it all!!!!!
Ok.No problem.Hopefully your problem is resolved soon.

PCM : Power/train control Module

ECM : Engine control module

Limp mode : safety feature built into cars Engine control module to restrict performance to 3000rpm to prevent further damage to engine.until the cars hooked upto a diagnostic machine...