UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

98 vw golf: diesel..pulls..loose power..turbo has cut out…

Hi there, i have just...
Hi there, i have just bought a diesel 98 vw golf 1.9tdi with 128000 miles on the clock. Car is in mint condition, runs pulls like a rocket, untill i drive up a very long steep hill near my home. It will loose power and end up struggling in fourth gear, almost as if the turbo has cut out. What should i be checking for?
6/10/2009
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

There may be nothing wrong , it could be that the revs are not high enough in fourth gear for the incline of the gradient..

The turbo should come in to operation at around 1800 rpm up... if the revs drop below that figure , then the turbo will drop out of operation... you will then consequently lose power and to regain the power, you will need to change into third to get the revs up..

Just re try it , it could be that you are just not use to the car and how it works yet etc as all cars are different..

So just check that first - retry the hill - and note the engine revs on the rev counter as its starts to lose power...
If you then change up to third and get the revs from at least 1800 ...2000... If the power then restores - then nothing is wrong with it.. which would be nice ;)

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time and knowledge ...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Hi Mike, i actually changed down to third gear and tried tanking it, but it made bugger all differance, just slowed down to about 40 mph, dont think it could be the flow meter?
Hi again... thank you for your reply...

Okay - thats good - you do need to rule that out..

As for the AFM - it is possible yes - as they do fail on these... One thing you could try is to disconnect the wire plug off it and place to one side and then try it... It may idle badly and cut out - but if it improves power on that hill , then that will be it... so try that out ...its a very basic test but is usually a good one..

After that if you can't suss it- the next thing would be to have the car connected to a diagnostic machine to see whats going on....

Just one other thing - of the fuel filter looks old - or you don't know how old it is - replace that ....as thats a common issue on these too..

Let me know if you need anything else etc..

Best Rgds.. MIKE.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic