UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

98 model nissan terrano 2,cut out on way to school,cranks but

Customer Question
wont start,borrowed mates carman scan...
98 model nissan terrano 2,cut out on way to school,cranks but wont start,borrowed mates carman scan tool,code 55 system all good,pulled computer out from under dash just to check board for burn marks,all appears ok.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Car
4/26/2009
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Your most likely problem here is a faulty crank sensor... I would suggest renewing that at this point.

Bear in mind that the computer on the car doesn't always log faults for a crank sensor..they should - but don't always...

You could check the circuits etc but in my experience , these crank sensors are a weak point... so I would do that for now...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time etc ....Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
anyway of testing with a multimeter before purchasing new sensor,ie values are this means good or values are this means bad
Hello again... Thank you for your reply.

Im afraid information such as that for this model is very limited - I don;t have any actual values for the cranksensor...
If you are concerned, it may be as well to have a proper diagnostic test run on the system - with the Nissan machine. The Carman is one of the range of good machines - and you could use it to carry out actuator tests etc on the system ( at least I think it can do that ... ) but the Nissan machine is dedicated to the car- and if the Carman cannot get anywhere with it - that would be the next best move .. short of going for the most obvious like I say... but that can go on a little if the problem is particularly problematic - you need to be aware of that ...

Personally i would opt to have it on the genuine Nissan machine.. you stand every chance then of a decent diagnosis and then progress from there...

I hope that helps you further...

Best Rgd -- MIKE
thanks for the reply mike,dealer charge for the part is $227 that is why i was asking about testing it,thanks heaps anyway.
Hi again... thank you for your reply...which makes a lot of sense!

Have the diagnostic test done on it first my friend..it will be money well spent on that case.... and then you will be sure ....

I wish you all the best with it... and Thank you again...

Kind Rgds... MIKE
i thought if you paid your money you could ask a few questions to get the appropriate answer,is that correct
Hello again....

Personally I will always do what I can to help if and where I can ... what can I do for you ??

Rgds.... MIKE
just making sure you were paid
Ah right -- yes , it looks as though its gone through ok... Thank you !

Best Rgds.... MIKE..
Mike, UK Car Mechanic