UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Vauxhall Vivaro ( Renault Trafic) 2002 it has done…

Customer Question
I have a Vauxhall Vivaro...
I have a Vauxhall Vivaro ( Renault Trafic) 2002 it has done 90K miles but will only run with the air meter disconnected I have cleared all the codes that were on there but is still the same, have replaced the airflow meter no joy sometimes the glow plug light will come on and the engine will lose power and has to be restarted, could this be the EGR valve? your advice will be appreciated Frank
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: UK Car
4/17/2009
UK Auto Mechanic: Mike, UK Car Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Hello and Welcome to justanswer....

Could you tell please exactly which engine you have ?? An engine code if at all possible would be good - but whatever you can tell me for now ...

Rgds - MIKE
1.9 tdi common rail do not know anymore until tomorrow
Hi there -- Thats fine -

Okay - As you have the engine management light on - this will mean that the ecu - engine management computer will have stored fault codes in there.. So, I know you said you cleared the codes and thats fine... but you need to do a re read again... and the note down what code(s) you are getting now and work off that ....

You need to do that - if the light continues to be on - either - the fault exists for sure in whatever circuit it relates too - Or.. there is a fault in the ecu.

Now, notice I said either the fault exists in the "circuit"... its not necessarily the AFM - air flow meter - if the code you have relates to that - ( or whatever it says ) ... you need to check very carefully the connections first - the condition of the pins etc -- use a spray cleaner on them such as Maplin electronic or switch cleaner - ( NOT wd40 ) ... and then retry ...

If that fails - check the wiring to the component in question - right through and carefully... often you see chaffed wiring - rubbing on the engine or gearbox or similar... so work through that ..

IF you don't find the fault that way - then I would suggest not to use the generic FCR's - fault code readers - Take it to either someone who has dealer level equipment - eg, Tech 2 machine etc... or the dealers themselves.. It will be money well spent - as these machines go into much greater depth...and can even re write the software ./ programming if needed / if thats the fault - and it often is these days...

So work through the above as I say - by doing that - you will arrive at the problem for sure....

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Rgds- MIKE
Hi there -- Thats fine -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

i have done the above except the main dealer part i am a ex mechanic so have tried the obvious i have read up about the egr valve that it could be sticking do you think that i should clean this first or replace it then go to the main dealer?
Hello again.... Okay - thank you for that - I wasn;t aware of that ..

The Egr valve isn't listed as a particular problem or a known issue on the Vivaro or its derivatives... However- it certainly is worth looking at yes... Remove it and give it a good clean - they do get sooted up - and also clean the port where it fits too... it gets coked up inside there too..

A clogged or failing egr valve will usually cause black smoke and lack of power - not usually the problems you describe - but there's no harm in cleaning it out and trying it.

The Dci models did have a lot of troubles with the egr valve - I know your isn't that model - but certainly check it out - clean it all through and retry it as I say.

Then if that doesn't work - its nothing lost short of some time - and then as I said before - its time for the Tech 2 machine - honestly ;)

Best Rgds -- MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time ....Thank you...

Mike, UK Car Mechanic