With the design flaws of the Freelander 1.8 petrol engine( the head gasket problems), is the diesel 2.0 tdi ok and why?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: With the design flaws of the Freelander 1.8 petrol engine( the head gasket problems), is the diesel 2.0 tdi ok and why?
Answered by Mike in 5 hours 13 years ago
imglogo
Auto Mechanic
logo

Specialities include: Automotive Mechanic, Small Engine Repairs, Auto Body Repairs, Diesel Engine Repairs

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The Freelander petrol engine had what was known - is known - as the "K" series engine and this was used in the Rover petrol models - 2 / 400 series etc...

They had terrible troubles with head gasket failure and this was essentially because of a design flaw with the head locating dowels in the block.
These were originally made of plastic and as the engine got hot - the plastic dowels were susceptible to movement enough to make the head gasket fail.... and fail they did - in their thousands... and they continue to do so.

Rover and aftermarket gasket suppliers replaced these dowels with steel ones and this cured the problem. But its worth mentioning that Landrover claimed the problem was cured when they started to fit the engines to the Freelander. It wasn't . They continued to fail in their droves.. and the same jobs .. gasket / dowel replacements continue to have to be done.

The TDi engine on the other hand is a totally different design and had no such problems...

Landrover used their own and BMW engines in the Freelander range depending on year of build an d they were a very good engine , either of them.

Personally I would never have a petrol version of the Freelander for the reasons above... but have had several Freelander TDi's... not a problem with any!

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer
So is it possible to replace the petrol engine with the diesel one if you already have the petrol one?
Hello again - Thank you for getting back to me.....

Thats a good question... and the answer is basically yes - but it depends on what you want to spend.... as the boundaries are the costs..

You would need to purchase the engine if course and ideally the drive train - gearbox etc .. Then you would need to change the fuel tank and its ancillaries - Too you would need to change the fuel system - pipes ., filter arrangements etc ..

On top of that you would need to renew the vehicle wiring - this would involve renewal of the wiring looms to do with ignition /fuel and engine management systems - and too , you would need to change the engine management system - the Ecu ( Electronic control unit ) etc..

There would be other small things but the above outlines the major ... and it is pretty major. I don't personally know anyone that has done it - but as the body of the Freelander diesel and petrol motors are the same - the as above, the basic answer is yes as I say ... but to be honest -- costs and work involved would be quite substantial - and you would likely be cheaper and certainly a lot less hassle , changing the petrol model for a diesel...

Of course the choice is yours ... but hopefully Ive been able to help you with your decision making process.

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid...Thank you...

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
Auto Mechanic
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.