V reg Renault Clio sticking rear brakes? My daughter has a 1999 Clio RT 1149cc. It has developed a problem where the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: V reg Renault Clio sticking rear brakes?
My daughter has a 1999 Clio RT 1149cc. It has developed a problem where the rear brakes stick on after it has been parked. I looked at the shoes and cylinders and the shoes were worn and a cylinder was weeping a little, so I replaced shoes and cylinders on both sides. The handbrake cables seemed to operating freely so a just gave them a squirt of WD40. However, when my daughter pulled away from home this morning all seemed fine until she appled the footbrake. The nearside rear wheel locked on and wouldn't release. She had only gone about 50 yards, so she turned around and came back. I went to investigate and the wheel freed. I tried it again by operating the handbrake and the wheel stuck again. I released it by knocking the brake drum with a hammer, but it seems as if every time the brake is applied this wheel sticks on. Is this a problem with Renaults, and if so can you please help me rectify it, as my daughter is very upset that her car is not well and she is frightened to drive it anywhere in case they stick on again.
Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Steve Warry
Answered by Mike in 39 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Auto Mechanic
logo

Specialities include: Automotive Mechanic, Small Engine Repairs, Auto Body Repairs, Diesel Engine Repairs

Hello Steve, Welcome to justanswer..

There's a couple of possibilities here... First I would suggest you slacken the handbrake off altogether - so that there is no chance of it pulling the shoes on - Leave the hand brake - don't use it - make sure the shoes / wheels are free and re drive it. If all is well then, then you know its to do with the handbrake and then renew the cables.

Check the condition of the rear brake hoses - sometimes they collapse inside, not allowing the fluid to flow back when the pedal is released - but will work wen the pedal is applied because of the pressure applied...

If not - Im trying to recall if the Clio you have , has a brake pressure valve.. if it has -that is your most likely problem... you will need to renew it.

If it does not have the pressure valve - and the above is ok -then the problem has to be the master cylinder... that will need renewing that being the case...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
Auto Mechanic
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.